SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-07, 01:23 PM   #11
danf1234

Default Re: My import order

Lyn,

Thanks for that it certainly puts things in perspective. I guess I am just like any other consumer in the UK who thinks we get hard done by on our little island because of tax after tax.

Anyway the real reason for buying from the USA is becausethe OEL gel seat is totally unavavailable at the moment in the UK, so I guess if you want one as badly as I do price doesn't come into it.

Lyn, are you a customers office by any chance???
Old 23-03-07, 01:24 PM   #12
Stig

So how is that new job going in Customs Lyn

Old 23-03-07, 01:26 PM   #13
Viney
Mega Poster

Bargins in the states never are! I always treat the US price as UKP and you wont be far off.

Gel seats aint that good anyway, i sold mine after it geve me back ache instead of a*rse ache
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-07, 01:29 PM   #14
danf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Bargins in the states never are! I always treat the US price as UKP and you wont be far off.

Gel seats aint that good anyway, i sold mine after it geve me back ache instead of a*rse ache
Wow that really starts to make me wish I hadn't bothered.
Old 23-03-07, 01:31 PM   #15
Viney
Mega Poster

Sorry. You may find its ok, but i didnt
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-07, 01:41 PM   #16
danf1234

No worries I'll post on here if it has been a total waste of time and money.

Mind you thats if it ever arrives. 1 week and its still in the USA at the moment.
Old 23-03-07, 02:24 PM   #17
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
No worries I'll post on here if it has been a total waste of time and money.

Mind you thats if it ever arrives. 1 week and its still in the USA at the moment.
Things can take upto 6 weeks to arrive, maybe longer if customs decide to have a little look. Saying that though I have just got a huge delivery of goods and I did not get charged import tax so I saved about £150 per unit. Should actually make some money on this one, afterall it's not my fault customs didn't charge me this time. Ebay here I come!
Old 23-03-07, 02:46 PM   #18
lynw

Last edited by lynw; 25-06-07 at 11:26 PM.
Old 23-03-07, 03:33 PM   #19
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw View Post
Actually its your responsibility to declare the right duty/VAT, not HMRCs.
Lyn, I'm confused. If I goto a legit website and order some items from the US and pay for shipping/handling/export fees which then get delivered to my house how is this illegal if Customs missed their opportunity to charge the usual stupdendous 'handling' fee? It's not exaclty tax evasion is it, more like Customs stupidity. And in what kind of mental state would I have to be in to goto Mr Customs and say "Ooh look you have not stiched me over for the tax which I have already paid/import fees, please do so now". There are times when you have to step out of whatever uniform you wear and think like the average consumer. All the times when I have paid way over the odds on seemingly cheap items, I call it fair game.
Old 23-03-07, 03:53 PM   #20
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Had the following happen to both myself and a friend coming back into the country at separate times.

Both of us had lots of purchases/gifts (He was coming in from Japan, I was coming from Singapore so you can imagine loads of electronics)

Both of us went through the Red Channel.

Both of us declared we had loads of stuff.

Both of us got told "You should pay duty on that, but we'll let you off this time" (or words to effect)

Difference was when he went through, he spotted a HUGE customs sting going on in the Green Channel - everyone was being checked

This shows huge inconsistency in the process, so why should anyone respect it?

Just wondering how my parcels from the US will be handled - they might be getting sent today - my friend who was picking them up for me from the shop was working out of town most of this week, so they have been touring the US in the back of his truck

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote