SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-13, 12:45 PM   #1
TCochrane

Default Indicators not working, again. Pointy.

Like a numpty I managed to accidently touch the positive wire of an indicator to the chassis while the ignition was on ¬_¬

Hence the indicators don't work anymore as there's a fuse blown somewhere.

I've checked the fusebox under the seat (10A) and that's fine so I'm at a loss. Could it have blown the relay? Is there another fuse I should check?

Cheers

-Tim
Old 02-02-13, 03:45 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Indicators not working.. again. Pointy

Does everything else electrical work properly? If no, then check the fuses again.

If yes, then locate the indicator flasher unit, remove the two wires, (one is the feed, one goes to the switch), and bridge them, when the switch is operated do the indicators come on? If yes, they won't flash, obviously, but if they light then the rest of the system is proved, and the flasher unit is duffed.
If no, check that one of the wires at the flasher is live, if neither are then the fault is obviously before that point - you'll need a wiring diagram.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 02-02-13 at 03:47 PM.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 04:16 PM   #3
TCochrane

Default Re: Indicators not working, again. Pointy.

Yes everything else works fine, its just the indicators that don't flash and it doesn't flash on the dashboard either.

At the risk of sounding like even more of a noob, what is the indicator flasher unit? :P is that the relay thing?
Old 02-02-13, 10:10 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
ts just the indicators that don't flash and it doesn't flash on the dashboard either.
Just to clarify; do you mean they come on but don't flash - or they don't come on at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
At the risk of sounding like even more of a noob, what is the indicator flasher unit? :P is that the relay thing?
Well, yes, but no, it isn't a relay - it's a flasher unit.

Relay means something else entirely, despite this the wrong term is commonly used - even by those who should know better.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Last edited by Sid Squid; 03-02-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 11:54 PM   #5
TCochrane

I mean I press the indicator button but nothing whatsoever happens.

I'm going to swap the original indicator flasher unit tomorrow morning with the current one (LED flasher unit in atm) and see if the indies flash then.
Old 03-02-13, 11:49 AM   #6
TCochrane

Problem found and sorted.

It was the flasher unit (relay) that had blown, have replaced it with a non-LED one and indicators work, all be it too fast, but they'll do for the minute til I can get a replacement LED unit.

Thanks Sid Squid!
Old 03-02-13, 12:49 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It works again - excellent!

Old 06-06-13, 11:51 AM   #8
garvj137

Sorry to comment on this months after it was posted but i have an issue with my indicators and wondered if you may have an idea on what it could be?

I have a 2003 pointy SV and the indicators don't work if you use the controls and nothing flashes on the dash either. If you flick the hazard switch then the indicators do come on then. I have changed the fuses for the indicators and i have changed the indicator relay as well. I have taken apart the control and cleaned it last night and still nothing. Any ideas?