SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-06, 03:54 PM   #11
Abyss

I went a bit over board buynig stuff off infinity. I was on their site only looking to buy a cover for my bike (oxford one on sale) but just started adding things to my basket :P

£200 later I have random stuff including scottoiler which was £69 methinks (comes with enough oil for est 5000miles)
Old 03-08-06, 04:27 PM   #12
andyaikido

The pic on the Scottoiler site shows the right-hand rubber bung on the injector. I couldn't get access to this so took the left-hand one off instead, might be of use to you.

Oh, and not sure if your bothered about having cable ties round your swingarm but mines held for 10k miles with just the glue provided and a small tie around the bit where your swingarm bobbin goes.

HTH
Old 03-08-06, 04:28 PM   #13
andyaikido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss
£200 later I have random stuff including scottoiler which was £69 methinks (comes with enough oil for est 5000miles)
I'm nearly up to 10k now and i've still got loads left. Bargain!
Old 03-08-06, 05:07 PM   #14
fullstop102

Cool.. A bit out of my price range but something to think about. Stick to my can of lub for now!
Old 03-08-06, 05:39 PM   #15
Diego's dealer

Hey,

Was actually going to write a question on this so I might as well just put my question on this thread.

How does the normal Universal Scottoiler work? Is it just a resevoir that drops oil onto the chain every now and then or do you hook it up to the engine (or somewhere!) so that it is controlled somehow?

Seems that all the bike mags can't get enough of them so I was considering getting one myself.
Old 03-08-06, 05:44 PM   #16
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego's dealer
Hey,

Was actually going to write a question on this so I might as well just put my question on this thread.

How does the normal Universal Scottoiler work? Is it just a resevoir that drops oil onto the chain every now and then or do you hook it up to the engine (or somewhere!) so that it is controlled somehow?

Seems that all the bike mags can't get enough of them so I was considering getting one myself.
I reckon:-

It uses the vacuum of the engine to drop oil on your chain at a certain rate which can be tweaked, so if leave your engine on while stationary for a long time, you'll have a lot of oil in a puddle.

Technical geniuses please come and correct if wrong.
Old 03-08-06, 05:47 PM   #17
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego's dealer
Hey,

I reckon:-

It uses the vacuum of the engine to drop oil on your chain at a certain rate which can be tweaked, so if leave your engine on while stationary for a long time, you'll have a lot of oil in a puddle.

Technical geniuses please come and correct if wrong.
That was the general idea i got
Old 03-08-06, 05:57 PM   #18
Diego's dealer

oh ok cheers. I had a look on the Scottoiler website but it's a bit cack at actually explaining what it does!
Old 03-08-06, 06:56 PM   #19
Villers

I had one of these on my CBR. Was very difficult to get the timing right with it. It either seemed to do nothing at all or **** oil all over my lower fairing. Just got sick of it in the end and stopped bothering with it.

Hope you have better luck mate!
Old 03-08-06, 07:01 PM   #20
embee
Mega Poster

.....not rocket science, the engine simply provides some vacuum to open a valve to let oil out of the reservoir, stop the engine and the valve closes to stop the oil dripping. Nothing more than that. The vacuum adaptor has a damper in it to reduce some of the pulsing.

There's an adjuster dial which you can turn to alter the rate of oil delivery, which is the only thing you need to fiddle with. The drip rate depends a bit on how it's mounted, height, length of capillary pipe, viscosity and temperature of the oil etc, but they seem to be pretty consistent once set.

There's a tube and plug arrangement, take the rubber plug thing out to top up the oil, the tube has a filter to let clean air into the reservoir to allow oil to drip out, the filter's so dirt doesn't get in and clog up the valve.

All very simple, but very cleverly executed and a lot of attention to detail and nicely made. Pricey, but above all, they work!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote