Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 17-03-19, 01:07 AM   #104
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Now for the reason I've been a little delayed with progress. Basically in making these little parts for the bike I've gained a bit of an interest in machining, and so I've been spending a lot of time in the Makerspace. And in doing so I've become a fair bit involved in the Makerspace.

Now for a brief history of Swindon Makerspace, it started in the basement of the Museum of Computing in 2012 but eventually grew to big enough to need its own space. So the Makerspace moved to its own industrial unit. The unit was great but as more members joined and more equipment was brought it more space was required. So in 2017 after I had joined we started the expansion process. This was a two part process, we expanded into the subunit when the previous tenant vacated and then we added a mezzanine floor.

This mezzanine floor was funded and built by the spaces members. It took us about 9 months to compete the building work so most of my free time was spent on the building works. We did our own brickwork for the support pillars and installed the RSJ's, added the joists and flooring as well as the stairs, a couple of stud walls, some plastering, and a lot of painting and decorating.

At the end of the process we more than doubled our floor print and could separate the dirty workshop down stairs for metalwork and woodwork from the upstairs electronics areas.

Now I don't have many pictures from before and after of the build apart from one taken as we were putting the flooring down, which considering it took nearly 9 months is a bit odd, so for visual enjoyment here some pictures of bits I made on the 3-in-1 for my Grom. I did spacers for the wheels and swing arm bushings to improve an aftermarket arm which I quite enjoyed making.

Now if you are any good with maths you'd notice that there was a longer delay than 9 months.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote