Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 22-01-17, 12:46 AM   #53
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Shocking developments... Can you see where this is going?

The original rear shock is somewhat underwhelming. Its going to be a basic budget shock and probably weighted for the Japanese home market, which would have suited me perfectly some 20 years ago. Its got over spray on the spring and will need a rebuild, but probably isn't a serviceable item. And in keeping with the builds goals this isn't going to do.

The trouble is finding a replacement shock isn't as easy as you might think, the YSR was not exactly a best seller. However research showed that there are a few out there, "Fox Twin Clicker" is something that came up now and again and I did see one sell on eBay for something like $450. But if I were to buy that and ship it over then rebuild it if I could the price would land on the wrong side of interesting.

I had heard that Ohlins made one, but they don't list it. Coincidentally I needed the Ohlins on my SV serviced so took that to MH Rracing and asked about getting a Ohlins for the YSR. Surprisingly he was familiar with the bike and shock but confirmed that it was no longer produced. However he'd see if he could build one from parts, but that came with the warning of it not being cheap.

Unfortunately building from parts wasn't possible as some of the vital parts are simply not available any more. I did then think about contacting Nitron who produced my shock for the TZR for them to make me one but just as I was about to I struck a deal with a chap in America and a couple of weeks later a parcel arrived.

It is a WP shock model number W3990. But as expected it was in a bit of a sorry state. The anodising on the reservoir was faded. The powder coat on the spring was chipped. There was little to no oil or gas in it judging by the slide. And the seller did say that the hose might need replacing. But it was so cheap compared to anything else and I'd never heard of WP having made one before so couldn't resist.

Having located a shock all I need to do was to get it bike ready. And to do so I took it down to MH Racing for inspection, he was surprised to see the shock as he didn't know WP did one but confirmed it was a good choice and that it was salvageable if I wanted it serviced. But I told him no, I didn't want it serviced, I wanted it like new.

And I've got to say I think he's done a wonderful job.

The hose was replaced as it just spurted oil out as soon as it was pressurised. Tracking down the internal seals took some time but a kit for another shock fitted it nicely. The bump stop he had to make. The body was painted, the reservoir re-anodised, and the spring powdercoated. The rest was aqua blasted and finished off on to a high standard.

The observant might notice that the reservoir has swapped sides, this is a combination of accident and design. Rooting the hose on test fittings was interesting, but I have an idea. Just got to get it on the bike proper now.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote