View Single Post
Old 03-01-22, 07:13 PM   #11
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cookstown 100 - How to make cheap SV700

There is no such thing as cheap power.

I've done the Hayabusa piston swap, so I'll start with that. It will not take you to 700cc. What it will give you is a lighter piston and a very, very small bore increase. Basically you need a set of pistons, pins, rings, head gaskets and you will need to have the barrels honed to take into account for the small increase in the clearance required for the new pistons. I also took the middle gasket out of the head gaskets on rebuild to increase compression. I'm not the first person to do this so there should be a better guide somewhere. If you're buying new I'd budget for around £700 for parts and the bore if buying from Suzuki assuming you'll do the build yourself. Mine didn't cost me that and I did it as I already had sourced the parts at a bargain price and was rebuilding the engine anyway. I didn't do a before and after power test but did feel a little increase in performance.

To get to 700cc I believe, as I've not done this myself but have looked into it, you need a bigger piston (84mm vs 81mm) and a rebore to suit. Uprated rods are optional from what I remember. Price wise I think its going to be roughly the same as fitting Hayabusa pistons if you don't change rods, but I would expect the power increase to be more noticeable than a piston swap. There are kits for the piston and bore or just the piston alone available, its a known modification. I've not heard of any piston that will increase the cc of the engine without need to rebore for the SV.

To go to 750cc it is my understanding that you will need rods and a crank, and above that the cases need to be enlarged for the new barrels (I do remember seeing a 800cc SV many years ago, but don't have any more information on it than that), however thats all outside of your requirements.

Coming back to your original questions, I dont know of anything other than jetting the carbs to suit though you could replace them with 39mm or 41mm FCR's though having not done this yet I dont know what potential increase it would give. If your engine is already putting out good power in Mini Twin spec I'd assume you've done all the usual things so there isnt really much else to do I dont think.

I would go for the 700cc big bore option myself, and then anything else thats an option such as suspension upgrades and such if they are allowed. But it aint going to be cheap.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote