View Single Post
Old 20-06-18, 06:09 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2001 SV650 Engine Diagnostic Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by aje14700 View Post
squirrel_hunter:
I'll double check those, but both should be good. Would a slightly loose sparkplug cause that kind of racket?

Assuming the ball bearing did in-fact come from the clutch worm gear, and noting that it does drop into 1st, other thoughts?

Is there any downside to tightening the cam chain a little bit without taking the cylinder head cover off to "properly" check play (can't tell with my service manual (Clymer) if the tensioner is automatic, or if there is an adjustment bolt)? From what I remember, both cam chains are pretty tight, but not sure if it's within spec range.
A loose spark plug can make some nasty noises as you won't have the correct compression, the air fuel mixture will be out, and it may not be sparking when needed. But then like I say its hard to diagnose a noise over the internet and its always good to start with the basic free stuff before you start stripping the engine down.

From your picture of the ball its size does look like the clutch worm is a strong candidate. Take the worm off of the bike, wind it all the way out and see if you have the same number of balls as there are channels and compare with what you have. Clean, grease, then reassemble.

The Cam Chain tensioner is automatic, its a little spring that pushes a pin out onto the chain guide. Assuming they are standard and have not been replaced by manual adjusters that is as I've not seen them. So working on the likelihood they are originals and they are a part that can fail lets test them...

You will have to check your manual as I can't be sure of the correct positions for the crank but from memory you want to be in the valve checking position in order to take the tension off of them and then either extract them from the engine or simply wind them out. I would go for the wind out check first in that its a small gasket that can be easily replaced if required. Remove the tensioner cap and with a small flat blade screw driver rotate the tensioner anti-clockwise. You should feel resistance, remove the screwdriver and the tensioner will spring back out. If this happens then I'd suggest they are fine. If not remove the offending tensioner for further inspection. Your manual will hopefully explain that better then me though.

If that is all good I'd be checking the big end bearing. That video of the screwdriver down the spark plug hole shows what needs to be done. Just remember not to jam anything in there and you dont need massive amounts of force to move the piston should it be the big end. If you have movement in the rod, the next step I would be considering is to take the barrel off to confirm. However I wouldnt suggest jumping to that step in case it is something else that is a simple fix. Lets hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Here's my random thoughts:

You could remove the oil filter, cut it open and examine the element to see if there's any shrapnel inside.
The oil filter may show something but its not guaranteed as the strainer normally picks out the bigger bits even flecks of metal before going to the pump and then the filter (if I've remembered the oil route correctly), plus cutting it up is messy. The other thing to say is to me shrapnel suggests chunks of metal. What you are looking for is very small flecks of metal, either silver or copper/ bronze in the oil. If you have the old oil you could run it through some filter paper like a coffee filter or dripping some off of your finger in the light may also show up the flecks of metal. This however would not be good to see.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote