Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 21-12-20, 10:24 PM   #145
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Yeah I've seen a few conversions with different engines, TZR125 looks popular. The style of frame makes it quite easy from what I understand as there is a lot of room available and the frame rails or cradle is removable so custom making something that just bolts in makes it in theory simpler. The thing with engine conversions is how far can you go while keeping it the same bike, I'm thinking of the Panigale Grom or the 700cc (can't remember the exact engine now) where they basically remade the entire frame. At that point without the original frame or the original engine is it still a Grom and not just Grom shaped? But I'm not taking anything away from the very impressive work that has gone into those bikes, just not sure if its something for me. Thats why I've just added a massive 7cc's to this.

But anyway back to the tank. Yeah I did consider a few of those ideas, but ruled them out for various reasons. Some of it related to how much work I wanted to take on particularly with things like making my own from CF for example. One thing with plastic tanks to consider is how they react to fuel, I had a Triumph Sprint RS that had a plastic tank, the trouble is it expanded from the petrol which made refitting once removed almost impossible. So while I could make something I wouldn't want it to then all fall apart at the first sign of fuel. Hopefully the metal one wont as I intend to test it before paint and even use a tank sealer so hopefully that will cover it.

I did think about a cover and a plastic tank from another bike but the size of the bike and tank presents an interesting problem as the stock tank is only about 8 litres. Then if I could find one I would then have to devise some way of attaching it securely to the bike which I don't think would have been easy. Maybe I'll do something like that for the next bike I build as I already have some ideas of what I want to do and the petrol tank is something that will need modified so who knows what might happen in the future...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote