View Single Post
Old 07-02-18, 01:46 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Want to see inside my SV engine...?

Its nice to see people taking an interest in how engines work, and particularly using a SV for demonstration. However, the explanation of how the engine starts could in my opinion do with some tidying. The following is my basic understanding...

When the starter motor is activated it spins the idle gear, which in turn spins the starter clutch. This is not a fly wheel but a one way clutch where by in one direction it is inactive but in the other it will transfer the power from the starter motor via the idle gear to the starter clutch which then turns the crank. And once the engine has started the the starter clutch is disengaged.

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be added to that and it would be interesting to see, such as how the starter clutch actuates, how it engages and disengages particularly once the engine is spinning, and (as its been a while since I've been inside a SV engine) why that idle gear has two sets of teeth. Ideas for future videos.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote