Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 03-01-17, 09:03 PM   #38
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Now the hard part of getting the crank and gearbox in is over it should be plain sailing to get the rest of the engine together...

Bearing holders for the gearbox are held in with the addition of threadlock, and the gear selector shaft slid through the cases.

Over to the other side and the shaft is retained by a circlip. The plastic bolt at the top of the engine containing the stopper cam went on, and I also decided to install the coil plate but couldn't put the neutral switch in as I was missing its gasket. Not to worry it's easily accessible and on the outside of the engine so can be sorted later.

Back to the right hand side and the kickstart idle gear and kickstart assembly can go in. This is where I encountered my second problem. I could not get the spring to line up in the case. Its not easy to see from this angle but there is a recess in the case that the back of the spring clip needs to sit in and slide along as the kickstart is turned. After a lot of attempts at setting it, taking it apart and reassembling I eventually worked out what I was doing wrong. When I took the engine apart the rattle gun fired the kickstart out and when it landed it knocked the clip out of position. All I needed to do was to rotate it back round to the correct position. Simple.

Next was the primary drive and the outer clutch hub as I would need that anyway to lock the crank to tighten the primary drive nut.

After that it was the inner hub which is retained by a new spring washer which of course I didn't have. Remember at the beginning when I said I had all the parts needed, well that was a little overstatement. Thankfully Fowlers had the bits in stock so a trip down the M4 was on for me.

While I was in Fowlers I also picked up the only other outstanding part I needed, a gasket for the neutral switch, so that went in.

The inner hub was installed with the new spring washer along with a new set of EBC CK clutch plates and damper rubbers.

The pressure plate then went on with a new set of OEM springs.

And finally the alternator rotor.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote