View Single Post
Old 08-01-17, 06:21 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default 3D Printing To CNC Machining

So I've got this crazy idea... I need some parts for my YSR50 that are not made by anyone, only simple stuff like brackets and such like and I had this idea to make them myself only I'm not an engineer.

But I got thinking (dangerous I know) that I could design the part and then using one of these newfangled 3D printers print out the part in plastic to ensure it fits and make any required changes (Rapid Prototyping or what 3D printers were intended for). With the design perfected I could then send it to a CNC shop and receive back my shiny ally part for the bike.

The only problem with that plan is I know nothing about any of it! Do any of you?

Working my way back, I need a CNC shop that will do one offs. I then need to be able to provide them a co-ordinate file that they can handle. I would have produced the part from a 3D printer using the same program.

Therefore recommendations for a machine shop, what software to use, and what printer I need would be gratefully received along with any other information that I'll need to know...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote