Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 12-12-16, 02:17 AM   #16
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Now I have a naked bike in front of me I can begin to remove the engine.

And the first step here is the exhaust. Trouble is this one has a funny nut as standard that screws it onto the head.

So out come the C-Spanners. Interestingly the only one that fitted was the Yamaha OEM part that I ended up buying for the steering bearings on the TZR. When I bought that I thought I'd never be using it on any other bike let alone not even steering bearings. I like tools.

Onto the engine and the clutch cover. First it is the gear shift to remove.

Before the cover can be unbolted and the clutch cover cable disconnected.

The oil pump was next. Open up the cover and disconnect the cable and pipes in and out. There was oil in the tank so that was drained into a tub via my hand and workbench.

Next was the carb. Revealing the intake and the reed valves along with the boost bottle. I first encountered the boost bottle on my TZR125 (but that's for another day), no idea how it works, or why its not on the 250 so if anyone knows I'd very much like to understand.

And finally the front sprocket nut. Or to be precise the front sprocket circlip. I'm impressed that a circlip can handle all the power being put out...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote