Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 14-12-16, 01:12 AM   #26
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

With the engine out of the frame it made its way to the work bench.

Splitting the cases is a simple case of removing the screws on the left hand side and then lifting the case half off. However a point of reference don't try and lift the left side off the right. This makes perfect sense as the bolts are on the left, however all that will happen is you will spend a good 30 minutes occasionally getting a little gap between the halves only to be increasingly frustrated.

But if you read the shop manual properly eventually you flip the engine over and quickly remove the right hand side from the left.

The gear box shafts, drum, and selector forks simply lifted out. The crank was a little more challenging and was pressed out. This is going to be rebuilt.

It would appear that the mains are going to need replacing; but then that was expected, didn't expect that cleaning up the cases would take as long as it did. WD40 and elbow grease was in abundance.

All of the bearings were pressed out of the cases and the seals pulled. Some easier then others. That was the left main seal, it came out like that so wasn't really doing much. Surprised the engine ran, but I think that explains the leak, just not how there was so much oil coming out.

The clutch cover needed to be disassembled by removing the oil pump.

Which allowed me to remove the paint on the covers and cases using cellulose thinners. I then masked up the parts that I didn't want to paint and with a tin or two of aluminium engine paint had my own Banksy moment.

I baked them at 200°c for 1 hour to cure the paint.

The crank needs to be rebuilt and the barrel rebored then I can put it back together.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote