Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 19-04-20, 06:51 PM   #133
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Time for something more interesting than cables, fairings. I'll start with the rear. The fairing is a straight copy of the original, all the rivets from the mounting points are their which is good as it shows me where to drill, but so is the battery box lid as well as a rather pronounced split line from the mould. My plan then is to drill all the mounting holes, open up the rear lights with a hole saw, and then sand and fill ready for paint. Plans haven't gone to plan.

Drilling the holes wasn't to bad though I have a couple of cracks to repair where I think I was a bit heavy handed with the drill. Thats not a problem and can be fixed, its the first time I've drilled any fibre glass. Sanding wasn't great, basically the dust is the problem as I don't have a decent dust mask here. I only have a few very cheap paper ones that fall apart taking them out of the packet. I have a better one at the workshop but can't access that, and due to the situation, I've got no chance of buying one any time soon. So that and the mess it made in the garage has put that on hold.

But I have been able to fit the seat unit to the bike. Again this was a problem, the unit won't go over the shock reservoir, there isn't enough flex in the panel. So that reservoir needs relocating.

I don't have many options due to the length of the hose so mounting it on the outside of the frame rail looks to be the only option. I'll start working on some mounting bracket designs. Its also wrapped in kitchen roll to protect it while I wrestle with the rest of the fairings as I will need to fit the rest of the bodywork to ensure there isn't going to be any clearance issues...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote