Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 25-03-20, 11:34 PM   #122
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

The plan was to make 4 sets of rearsets, enough to have spares as well as mistakes and with the backing plates and levers completed I'd been working on pegs and spacers. With 4 sets of them made, it was the next phase to embiggen the 5mm placer holes on the plates and levers to take them to their working size along with a counterbore and chamfer.

All this takes time just to drill a hole. I have to set the machine up and clock a 5mm datum hole in on some sacrificial plate. Next is to clamp down the piece. Then drill to size, for example for the backing plates mounting points are 8mm. I then swap over the Jacobs chuck for then collet holder with a 13mm end mill for the counter bore depth of 2mm. In fairness as I'm not an engineer I don't know how far down I can go to recess the bolt head without sacrificing strength, but 2mm looks nice enough to lower the head height but shouldn't have any adverse effect. Then its back to the chuck for the chamfer tool. And before finally flipping the piece to do the chamfer on the back side. This all takes time and is just the process for a single hole.

But after drilling all the holes and taking the pivot point on the lever up to 16mm in preparation for the 20mm bushing I could put the first one together. I'm pleased. The past year has been worth it, but there is still more work to do I need to test fit and then do brake side.

Just hope I can do this before the lockdown and hopefully everything will fit...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote