Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 28-04-19, 11:42 PM   #110
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I need a design for the pegs and I am using the MaCrane set as a base, my first step was to sketch them out on some paper and decide what I wanted to change. My approach was mainly to simplify the design, reduce the curves at the mounting points for both ease of production and because I don't think it really adds anything. The other thing I wanted to add was a heel guard on the right to make it symmetrical.

With these sketches I could order some 6082 T6 Aluminium flat bar in the right sizes. I've ordered enough to give me a couple of chances at making a set. I hope.

Now the Makerspace is an interesting place and there are a number of people who know a number of things on a number of subjects and its very much a knowledge sharing community. Thankfully. So when I was having a discussion with Josh and Josh (no relation) on my plans we headed to the white board to draw out a cut plan of the operations I will need.

At this point Josh suggested it might be better to put this all into a modelling program. Fusion 360 is the choice of my advisers and its a powerful little tool. We started with a scanned image of the gear change peg and worked from that converting it to a technical drawing adding dimensions.

With this all drawn out I could move to the mill with a plan to work from. But then I had an idea...

If I have the technical drawings, the vector files, I could potentially 3D print them to check fitment. The problem here is that none of the Makerspaces 3D printer beds aren't large enough. So I moved to a new plan and something that could deal with the size. The lazer cutter.

Using some ply Josh helped me cut a set of pegs and refine the design in Fusion360 so I could test fit them on the bike. Thankfully we took this approach of rapid prototyping as it identified a couple of minor issues with the design.

The first problem was the size of the heel guard on the left, there was very little clearance to the swing arm and under load I fear it will touch. I don't think this is an issue with MaCranes design but rather with the fact I'm running an extended arm.

The second problem was the heel guard I added on the right. It got in the way of the rear brake actuator arm. My simple solution was to reposition the connection point by 180 degrees. Unfortunately that converted the actuator to a push not a pull and it was pointed out to me that the rod wouldn't be strong enough to deal with the push force without bending. Fair point. Therefore I've decided to scrap the right hand heel guard.

The third problem was the pegs. I've bought some ally race pegs that are universal fit to use, I bought these before the Colchester as I thought it would be easier to have these to work from. The problem is that the diameter of the peg results in them sitting off of the brackets in the original positions. So it became a job of moving the peg in line with the brackets mounting points that gave the peg enough meat to sit on and replicating this both sides. The added complication is that for reasons only known to Yamaha the mounting points are different from the left to the right so a simple mirror of the bracket wouldn't work. But with a ply version, a tape measure, and some calipers I think I got the dimensions correct.

After that was all sorted and the brake return spring on the lever relocated a final ply template was cut and checked on the bike. This looked good so to the mill to create the actual footpegs. And just in case anyone was wondering this is all to move the pegs 20mm back and 30mm up.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote