SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-12, 11:08 PM   #1
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Are caliper seals square in section, or what?

Having rebuilt a score of calipers over the last couple of years, for myself and others, I'm probably coming to this question a bit late.

Every manual I've looked at (and a fair few peeps on internet forums) say the main seals are wedge shaped in section and need to go in a certain way. But every seal I've actually used, OEM or pattern, have been square.

So far I've been chucking them in any old way (after convincing myself they're square) and neither me, nor anyone whose brakes I've worked on, has been involved in a fiery ball of death type incident.

I've mostly worked on Tokico calipers from various Suzuki's but a couple of Nissin calipers have also been through my hands. I'd swear all the seals are square. I've just spent 15 minutes staring cross-eyed at a new Tokico seal. It's bloody well square.

So am I fick, blind or what? Do some calipers differ? Has the design of seals changed at some point? Are people on the internets talking sagely about a job they've never actually done?

Answers from trustworthy sources are requested, because if it turns out I'm wrong I've got some brakes to check before the afore-mentioned fiery ball of death occurs.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 11:14 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Are caliper seals square in section, or what?

That is an interesting question.

I do check seals to see if they have a taper before I install them. But off the top of my head I can only remember encountering one set of OEM seals that were. However I can't remember what bike that was from...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 07:57 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The manuals are full of sh*t, they're mostly square except for some odd ones. I think MZ may have been wedged.
Old 28-08-12, 08:43 AM   #4
speedyandypandy

Didn't know there where anything else than square seals. I've yet to service the old brembo, AP and nissin 2 pots I have(I think I have 10 front and 5 rear calips laying about) wonder what I'll find there?
Old 28-08-12, 09:00 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

As above.
I suspect the same diagrams have been doing the rounds for some time, being ported across to the next manual as they are generally accurate. I'm certain that there are tapered seals, but they're not from any of the bikes I've worked on.

Jambo
Old 28-08-12, 09:11 AM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

All our (Nissan) car ones are square.
Reff EBC brake artical
" it is worth remembering that pad retraction in any caliper is totally reliant on seal 'pull-back'. Caliper seals are essentially square in cross section"

Last edited by NTECUK; 28-08-12 at 12:04 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 11:58 AM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

On occasion I have encountered a seal that isn't square in section - but it's been quite obvious, no squinting needed to discern so.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 12:44 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Mine are round. Hth

-------
Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk2
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 04:23 PM   #9
TamSV
Mega Poster

Thanks for the reassurance. I rebuilt another org'ers calipers at the weekend and obviously I would hate for something bad to happen to him.....he still owes me beers.

I had been looking at another forum where a couple of people I would normally listen to said the seals on the RGV were tapered, which made me wonder, as the OEM set I've got in the garage for that very bike looked extremely square to me.

I suspect some people are staring at these seals until they begin to imagine a taper.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 07:05 PM   #10
muzikill
Mega Poster

I used a set of jewellers loupes to double check mine during my caliper rebuild and they were fine either way.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote