SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-14, 03:23 AM   #1
bs8c

Default Single sided swing arm on Pointy?

I`ve tried to find something similar posts on the forum but i failed to find any...if there are such posts, please send me some links, if not...Has any1 tried to fit in a VFR 400 single sided swing arm on their pointy?
Old 07-12-14, 06:46 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Single sided swing arm

Try looking on Svrider.com ive seen more single sided conversions on there.

I cant recall anyone doing a single sided conversion on the Org.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:36 AM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

http://www.sv650.org/mvsv/mv-sv.htm
Old 07-12-14, 08:11 AM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Thats a US rider
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 08:26 AM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Ah well its on hear and he's got a email. Worth a punt
Old 07-12-14, 06:11 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

That's TygaBoys old bike. From what I can remember he sold it a year or so back, and I think the new owner since moved it on. But I could be wrong on that.

If you are looking to do this sort of conversion it comes down to measurements. SSSA measurements are usually easy to find as they are used so often in projects so its just a case of measuring up the SV frame and shock offset in simplest terms. Things like drive chain offset gets more difficult but shouldn't put you off and then arm pivot sizing can be altered with bearing changes or machining sleeves or spacers. Linkage and shock alterations is probably the most difficult part. However if you are an engineer or know of a good one who is handy with the welder anything within reason can be made or adapted to fit.

The theory is both difficult and simple. It depends on how much effort you want to put into it. My advice is to get the swingarm you want to use along with the wheel and as much extra you can get. Then offer it up and see where the problems might be. Worse case you just stick the hardware back on eBay as someone is always looking for a SSSA for a project...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:43 PM   #7
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs8c View Post
I`ve tried to find something similar posts on the forum but i failed to find any...if there are such posts, please send me some links, if not...Has any1 tried to fit in a VFR 400 single sided swing arm on their pointy?
i'd have thought the vfr400 tyre size was to narrow 150/60 R18 as a first choice for a sssa

Last edited by suzukigt380paul; 07-12-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-14, 10:46 PM   #8
bs8c

I'm not an engineer and my welding skills are.. Well they're ok, but i wouldn't trust myselfe with tempering such an important part of the bike. The other problem is the wheel. It's rim is too damn ugly for my bike.. So i guess i'll have to find something else. Anyway i got some good advices and i'm thankful for all your help