SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-10-13, 09:52 PM   #1
steady2wheels

Default genuine mileage?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you think is the best way of determining if a bikes mileage is genuine or not. Iv recently been looking at getting another sv with low mileage, but im a pessimistic kind of chap when it comes to buying bikes as usually i end spending a good month rectifying the previous owners mistakes. Thanks guys
Old 24-10-13, 10:31 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: genuine mileage?

1) Build it yourself.

2) Buy it new.

3) Check previous MOT's and service documentation combined with the general look and feel of the bike.

Those are your options. In all honesty a lot of it depends on the bike and the year of it as to its likely miles. However some old bikes can have low millage some new bikes can have lots. There is no real way to know for sure unless you go for option 1. Also millage is not the be all and end all of if the bike is in good condition, again the options above. You can have a low millage bike that is riddled with issues from either being built on a Friday or by having a over enthusiastic owner. At the end of the day it is a bit of a gamble, and if in doubt walk away or be happy spending time with the bike in the garage.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 11:37 PM   #3
Haircut

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

Requires details that a seller may be unwilling to give and only goes back so far (2005?) but may be of use if you are near to closing a deal.
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 05:03 PM   #4
steady2wheels

Thank you to both of you for your advice, i appreciate it. Im going to send the seller a message asking for the details i need for the online check.