SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-10-11, 10:20 PM   #11
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crank Shaft Scored due to Oil Starvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Also a bit worried from what Squirrel Hunter was saying that his oil pump has now gone could have the same problem.
I only suspect the oil pump as an explanation. I am in the process of stripping the engine down now to find out what happened. I think it may be something else, once I have the engine apart I can investigate further and check with a professional should it be required...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-11, 11:01 PM   #12
Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Hmm. More to think about. Also noticed that there is some scoring on the outside of where the crankshaft sits. However the cam chain bolt is only half worn. Thinking that crank shaft is bent i.e. not looking cost effective or safe to fix.

Also a bit worried from what Squirrel Hunter was saying that his oil pump has now gone could have the same problem.
Anyone know of any 2002 K2 engines for sale with ok milage on them?

Bit worried about buying from ebay as could start the whole process all over again.
If I can get a crank and rods good job however As the case is scored I will have to get it skimmed and then I'm into new thrust washer etc etc etc.

Got an exam in a few weeks so going to cross my fingers that a decent engine turns up. Keep me posted on how the engine strip down goes hopefully we can work something out

Still in two minds about rebuild vs new engine. IT is cheaper to rebuild but just wanna get out and ride as havn't ridden a bike for almost 2 years now.

Get the feeling that I'll have an impulsive moment on ebay over the next couple of weeks :-p
Old 01-11-11, 09:54 PM   #13
Talbot

FYI Thanks for all your help.

Did some maths today and managed to find a engine for about the same price as a rebuild. so going to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Much easier