SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-14, 09:59 PM   #11
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Supermarket vs. branded petrol.. your opinion?

Tesco's regular fuel feels rough and gives me the lowest mpg of any fuel that I have used, their Momentum 99 is like silk and gives me the same mpg as Shell Fuelsave (it's what they have instead of their Shell regular in some areas, not their v power + which is crazy expensive) BP and Esso regular fuels are okay, and just slightly better than Sainsbury's own brand. My ratings based on value and performance would be:
1: Shell Fuelsave
2: Tesco Momentum 99
3: Shell Regular
4: Esso, BP Regular
5: Sainsbury's (Just bellow these ^)
6: Tesco's own (not awful but the worst I've used)

I've not used any other fuels so can't comment on those, but from what I've seen brands tend to perform better than supermarket, but aren't always as cheap! Sad git ain't I!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 10:11 PM   #12
Kenzie

I find that Tesco's own makes my Civic idle a bit lumpy. Not sure if it is just my imagination. Thier diesel also messed up our works Passat a few years ago.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 10:45 PM   #13
cb1000rsteve

For the bike I use whatever's there when I need it. Otherwise I use branded when not caught short. The moped needs branded as supermarket fuels with out additives will eventually block the tiny injectors! The car runs on anything and still returns the same mpg whether supermarket or not.
Thinking about this in reality I don't think there is a massive difference. Watch them long way round / down programmes and they where taking fuel out of plastic cans. Think the companies just like to brain wash is.
Old 18-01-14, 10:53 PM   #14
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

It all tastes the same to me.

The only exception is using a higher rated octane to combat carb icing, a night and day difference. Other than that when the light comes on I stop off at the next convenient garage.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 10:57 PM   #15
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

I definately get better MPG out of Shell fuel when compared to Tesco, Esso and Jet....it's nearly always 1-2p more a litre but the savings I get though atleast 3-4mpg more outway that....if I can I put in Shell in the bike...

As for the Family Diesel car it's Tesco's a lot of the time, once a month it gets a full tank with about 50p/L off depending on the shopping we've done....

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 18-01-14 at 10:58 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 11:06 PM   #16
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I don't use supermarket fuels in my Italian bike since I had a problem with it reacting with my plastic tank. It escaped via the paint and caused irreversible damage. Also cost me a new tank which are EXTREMELY rare, and a new one costs as much as my bike!!. My local station is a Shell. I've not filled there since.

One of the Raptor Chapter maintains fuel pumps for a living, between him and another member they went around testing fuels because of the ethanol scare. Quite scientific and a bit nerdy!

Murco is the best petrol out there, for me! Best quality by all accounts. Shames its not found around here often, and is pricey.

The car gets any old brand. As long as the type of fuel is correct I don't care!

Then there is the mpg, you don't mention that when its 1000cc of Italian vtwin

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 18-01-14 at 11:08 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 11:08 PM   #17
DJFridge

I use Sainsburys, Tesco, Murco and Esso fairly regularly, with occasional stops at BP and Shell. I can't tell the difference in either mpg or performance. I keep meaning to try the Super but I can't remember whether it made a positive difference in carb bikes or injection. It was definitely only worth it in one, not the other. Just can't remember which!
Old 18-01-14, 11:09 PM   #18
Mrs DJ Fridge

Bike and lorry both had branded, car has supermarket, car is being used all the time, bike is special and needs loving, lorry runs on company money and can afford branded.
Old 19-01-14, 01:01 AM   #19
rb8989

Tuned ccm likes v power, depending on what map you write. I can switch curves between more and less advance if i know i can only get crap fuel.
Old 19-01-14, 08:56 AM   #20
mikerj

I have never noticed a single difference between supermarket and "branded" fuel, either in any of my bikes or my car. It's all in peoples heads IMO.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote