SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-08, 10:48 PM   #21
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Costing Up A Rebuild

Now as I haven't decided fully what to do, would like to rebuild but know I shouldn't I am wondering one other thing...

Considering the major fault list above (probably forgot a few things like the chipped rims, and every panel including the tank being damaged etc) what is worth?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-08, 12:13 AM   #22
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Now as I haven't decided fully what to do, would like to rebuild but know I shouldn't I am wondering one other thing...

The important but as folks have said, is to decide exactly what you want from the bike. I'll agree that, if wanting to put it back to standard/original spec, then it's more than prolly not worth bothering.

From what I've taken from your posts, best is to loose all the plastics anyway. Use clipons if you must but rid of plastics.

You can get a bike looking pretty good without unnecesary expense of tartyfication(yeah I know, I'm one to talk ).....wee dents add character anyhoos...no? .

The most important bits are chassis and engine. If you need a new engine, then that's a big part of any budget taken up. I'll say, any decision you make will hinge largely on, if you have a good engine.

As the crazy hehe Chris says, it is very possible to do it cheaply(again IMO depends on if you have a working engine). Looking at Vineys prices(some a touch pessimistic), I reckon well under ?400/?500will see a bike that goes as it should and still look, not shabby.

Leave out the powder coating unless you really go to school on it......if that is the case then any thoughts on economics have to largely go out of the window

Regards what it's worth, prolly not much it seems. From your posts, it would appear any money from breaking it, will be from
Forks
Wheels
Discs
Front foot pegs hangers
gear shift and brake levers
Front subframe(if straight)

What you wuld actually get from the above, will depend on condition(obvious I know) and time you have available....ie , do you have enough time on your hands to tell someone offerring you, say, a ?10 for the forks to 'feck off'

Hmmm, the more I think about it, prolly best to just split it and then keep an eye out for another one(perhaps in winter). You possible only need to add a couple of squid by then to ge something in better shape and also leaving you without the aggro of spending loads of time(we all know how we can end up spending silly amount of time mincing with the bleeding things lol)

That said by the time winter is here, you may have fallen in love with a pointy

Anyhoos , enough waffling from me . If and when you decide what you want from the bike, post up as you have and we may have more to suggest. The key here as I said , is the engine being okay.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-08, 02:45 AM   #23
hlaf_lyfe

ill buy it off you, how much you after?
Old 21-12-08, 08:24 PM   #24
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

make it a track bike, look at my sv for pointers or just drop it a few times
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-08, 11:10 PM   #25
jambo
Mega Poster

Dear God Ric,
9 months on from the last post, that's worth a little something:

Jambo
Old 21-12-08, 11:22 PM   #26
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

ahh woops, duno how i did that, i did not search for anything
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote