SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-14, 10:57 PM   #361
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: Garage Find

Thanks all for the advise. I opted for an original fibre washer and a tube of gasket sealant. Left it for the night to dry out and then filled the engine with oil and regularly monitored it. Over the course of a couple of days there was no oil seen from the switch and nothing on the tissue to confirm.

Its not pretty and it now officially qualifies as a bodge. But just so long as it holds at this point I'd be happy.

The fairing are now back on. I greased up the hinges and added some spacers to the brackets to get things to line up, its an old bike with some history so I expected some manipulation would be required. I'm not going to run with the V piece at the moment as I don't have the correct mounting bolts, but this isn't to important to me and can be looked at a little later.

My attention is now on the tank. The paint is dry now, I wouldn't recommend spray Hammerite any more so brushed it on. The white is not a colour match but then I expected that, and its no problem as its just to seal and protect the base.

The fuel filter came off of one of the replacement tanks as the original was far beyond saving. I added a new gasket and lines from Yambits. Some original foam dampers from Yamaha, and some copper washers to seal the screws and hold the filter on.

Replaced the fuel cap so its a one key bike now. But the rubber seal had some paint on it from the original owner. But luckily that comes apart so I took it off and replaced it with the rubber seal from the original tank.

Even put the rubber tank guard and over flow pipe back on.

Then hooked it up to the fuel tap and connected that fully.

Put some petrol in the tank and waited for my feet to get wet. They didn't so I lit a match closed the fuel cap and decided it would be rude not to fire it up.

It took a couple of extra kicks as I haven't started it for a couple of weeks and it needed time to get flowing from the tank but it started and was running off the tanks petrol.

At this point I can also report that I have at least 3 forward gears. It needs to clear its throat a bit as there are a couple of stutters but I did find the power band for a split second. First impressions is that its twitchy, but I put this down to my nerves, the new tyres, and the wet road. I think its going to be fun though.

The MOT is booked. Will monitor the tank, no smell of fuel yet, for the next couple of days. There are a couple of little things I want to take another look at but it would appear the big jobs are over. Lets see what happens next...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 08:53 PM   #362
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Everyone I've dealt with recently, has seemed to have them
I've never found a tap with an internal fibre washer, they're all rubber or ceramic unless you're talking about where the pipe connects to the bottom of the tap?

Anyway, you've done an absolutely superb job on the TZR there SH
Old 08-04-14, 10:05 PM   #363
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Re: Project: Garage Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I've never found a tap with an internal fibre washer, they're all rubber or ceramic unless you're talking about where the pipe connects to the bottom of the tap?

Anyway, you've done an absolutely superb job on the TZR there SH
Here here on the workmanship SH

I know they're in the connections, probably been some crap fitting as found a few big bits in the mixer end

written with a biro

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 07:15 AM   #364
jambo
Mega Poster

Looking very good. On the day you have the mot we want a photo of you, with the bike holding the mot cert in one hand and the morning paper in the other. Then, in years to come you can say "look at this photo of me and the bike I built, it was back in the days when you could still buy a newspaper!"

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 09-04-14, 05:32 PM   #365
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Here here on the workmanship SH

I know they're in the connections, probably been some crap fitting as found a few big bits in the mixer end

written with a biro
It's not part of the tap then
Old 12-04-14, 08:34 PM   #366
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Today didn't quite go as planned. The intention was to MOT the bike and then complete the Bikesafe Trackday at Castle Combe on it.

It started off ok. Got to the MOT station, the bike wasn't feeling the best, however it got there. And I worked out why the other night test ride was so twitchy, tyres require air in them to work properly.

Well the test went well. No failures and no advisories I have a certificate to prove this!

The ride back from the test felt better. Though I have a little clunk in the clutch that I need to investigate, only appears setting off when not really under load. Strange, so ideas welcome?

With a tax disc I headed home to do some of my own checks. I adjusted the front brake lever and topped up the gearbox oil then headed off to Castle Combe.

Not far from home and a total of 17 miles completed the exhaust note changed and I lost the rev counter and lights. Pull in and twiddle the fuses. The lights came back, so that is just an issue with the fuses and the box, again. I have an idea for this.

Restart the bike and I don't like that engine note at all. Look over the bike thinking the exhausts are loose, they're not. Try and locate the noise as it sound like something vibrating loose. Then I spot the right hand power valve cover resting between the fairing and exhaust. Cover the covers hole and the noise drops.

I think that the bolt hole thread holding the cover has failed. I wasn't convinced by it when it went back on. So what I think happened is the bolt failed and the cover worked loose.

So the next thing to do is to replace the fuses and fix the covers bolt thread. I have been thinking of the old tap and die, but would a Helicoil be best here and is that something I can attempt at home with the engine still in the frame?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 12-04-14, 09:39 PM   #367
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Project: Garage Find

It's not under a lot of load, I reckon a Helicoil will be fine.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 07:02 PM   #368
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Thought I'd take a look at the bike today. Replaced the problem fuse and that gave me the full electrics back. Need to get some shorter spares then what I currently have for a better fit but they are in there now.

Next was to check out the thread on the powervalve cover. Popped the fairing off and tried a bolt, which took to the thread fine. But with the cover in it wasn't gripping quite right. So I tried a longer bolt which was miles to long. But then I realised what the problem was firstly I needed the longer bolt or as its more commonly known, the correct size bolt. The next thing was to run a tap down the hole to clear out what ever it was that was stopping it getting all the way in. And with that the cover was on a held tightly.

A quick start of the engine confirmed that the noise and electric issue was solved. Now you might have noticed there have been no bike finished pictures. The reason for that was I was going to take them at Castle Combe circuit and hopefully include one of the bike on track. But it was not to be. So I took the bike down the road to check it was all working and to get a couple of pictures...

I should also add I'm no David Bailey.

But these should give you all some idea of how the bike looks.

Even tried a couple of arty shots.

Some may have worked better than others.

I also only went out for 5 minutes. Or so I thought. I've now covered a total of 52 miles. And I ran out of fuel. But stuck it on reserve and it kicked back into life once the air was clear from the pipe.

So things to do now include adjust the chain. Loosen the wiring at the front as I think its slightly restricting on full lock. Scrub the tyres in fully. Get some more miles on it.

As for what its like to ride, very different and I need to get more practice in. There is no engine braking, but get in the powerband and it shifts. Oh does it go. The front brake is uncomfortable at the moment as I think the span is wrong, more adjustment needed there. However I spent the entire 35 miles of tonight's ride with a little grin on my face.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR

Last edited by squirrel_hunter; 13-04-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 13-04-14, 07:13 PM   #369
maviczap
Mega Poster

Stunning work, its ready just in time for the good weather

Enjoy the fruits of your labour
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 09:13 PM   #370
TamSV
Mega Poster