SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-06, 11:15 AM   #31
ivantate

Dont take mine off. Its extra hassle especially as I wear glasses, so I have to juggle the gloves, wallet, glasses and helmet.
Have only been asked once to take it off, last week. Its amazing how much queue you can generate by taking it off, wrestling you wallet out of leathers, deciding you also want chewing gum, then remembering your nectar card, then having to put everything back in its rightful pocket. All performed with the helmet right in the middle of the counter.

I gave the usual parting shot about never returning, which will be upheld!

Even left it on at the post office when i went to post a parcel, when asked to remove it I pointed out I was the only person being robbed!
Old 28-09-06, 11:21 AM   #32
Ping

Thankfully, I've never been asked to take my lid off. It's a right pain as I generally have to 'inch' it off in side-side pushy-uppy movements and then it usually catches my earrings so I either drop one or it's back and have to search around on the ground for it.

I'm curious though, it seems that women aren't capable of or likely to commit this sort of crime in their eyes since they don't seem to need to be able to identify us?...

It's really rather odd.
Old 28-09-06, 11:22 AM   #33
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2ride
Nope - I dont take it off and dont intend to - now especially, as I have a flip up for that reason

Its pretty obvious why we are wearing them so why should we take them off?
I'm in agreement with you on the first(blue) but the second I don't really understand

Cheers
Ben
When I said its pretty obvious why we are wearing them I meant because we are riding bikes.

I believe in the right to wear what I want when I want and not be told what I should do - and what about ladies wearing burkhas?.

Having said all that I got the flip face because I dont want the hassle of sticking up for my rights. The world has gone mad - pah
Old 28-09-06, 11:46 AM   #34
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Don't know about you lot but around High Wycombe there is always a queue behind me at the Shell station by Handy Cross, and if you don't move off as soon as you get back to your vehicle some stroppy ar5e in the line behind you starts to complain. I've even had people squeezing between the bike and the pumps to avoid waiting for me (the lane type layout with a pump on each side of a gap just big enough for a big car). Imagine the impatient rants that would break out if I had to faff about putting my lid and glasses back on before moving off...

I agree on the manners thing, but there are limits when it leads to abuse by impatient w4nkers behind you.
Old 28-09-06, 11:56 AM   #35
timwilky
Mega Poster

Never been asked to remove helmet,

If asked, I would refuse. Simple. Bloody minded yes. But ********, would they ask all chavs to take off baseball caps, old men their trilbies etc.

Why not put up a bike sign on their forecourts "Motorcyclists are thieving scum and not welcome here". Because that is what they are saying.

Good manners :- ******** you are simply pandering to the prejudice of minimum wage toss pots who are incapable of getting a proper job.
Old 28-09-06, 12:46 PM   #36
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
True CC fraud is rife but again as a biker your only getting a couple of quid in the tank anyway not really worth it. Besides I thought that was why they introduced chip and pin.
Nah, 4/5 of all cc and debit card fraud transactions are under £50. Small transactions are easier to pull off. As for chip and pin... Not as secure as you'd think, and lets leave it at that Stops simple fraud, doesn't stop clever fraud. That's why Shell have gone back to signatures.
I didn't know that most of it was small transactions. I would have expected it to be larger Card not present transactions particularly to be the problem.

As for Chip and Pin security I realise its not as secure as I first thought (cause I'm involved in writing software that interfaces with it ), but personally I would consider it better than signatures.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 01:05 PM   #37
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Never been asked to remove helmet,

If asked, I would refuse. Simple. Bloody minded yes. But ********, would they ask all chavs to take off baseball caps, old men their trilbies etc.

Why not put up a bike sign on their forecourts "Motorcyclists are thieving scum and not welcome here". Because that is what they are saying.

Good manners :- ******** you are simply pandering to the prejudice of minimum wage toss pots who are incapable of getting a proper job.
Mr Walky for president!
Old 28-09-06, 01:08 PM   #38
Baph

Quote:
As for Chip and Pin security I realise its not as secure as I first thought (cause I'm involved in writing software that interfaces with it ), but personally I would consider it better than signatures.
Except for the good ol' trick of standing behind someone & watching them enter pin number. The PIN entry machines are far FAR from secure in themselves.
Old 28-09-06, 05:58 PM   #39
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Depends. Transaction by transaction, it is better, but you get isolated larger frauds abusing the chip & pin system or readers- that's what got the Shell stations. Quite clever, actually, not the first or last time that the criminal techies have been more on the case than the legal ones
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 06:03 PM   #40
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
That's cobblers, do you really reckon the pumpmonkeys set that policy? They want a quiet life so they can get ack to reading Zoo under the counter.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote