SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-11-13, 07:37 PM   #1
rezus17

Default My second SV

A few weeks ago I bought a 1999 SV650s off of the forum for £930. I'm going to go over the progress so far.

My first SV was a 2006 (which ive posted photos of before) and I loved to bits, but sold in order to fund another bike:

It had less than 1000 miles and was practically brand new.

After going through my supermoto phase, and wanting something faster and more compatible for long distances, the only thing I wanted was another SV. I was (and still am) selling my DRZ400 to buy one, but when this came up I could afford it, so bit the bullet. Next thing i knew i was spending my saturday driving a work van to Newcastle and back!

The bike rode fine but it had obviously been on both sides at some point in its life. The front indicators were literally only held on with white bathroom silicone! MOT had advisories for rear pads and a worn front tyre. Other than that I was pretty chuffed with my purchase.

Over the next few weeks I gave it the works. It got a full oil and filter change with fully synth, plugs, fork oil (replaced with 15w), new pirelli diablo on the front, pads front and rear, carbs cleaned and a lot of cable re-routing as behind the fairing was a mess

Cleaned the wheels:

Things i found wrong:
- Mirror infills (bought new ones from here)
- Rear brake light switch not working
- ALL wiring under the rear seat was cut at some point, then twisted together and taped.
- ALL wiring to rectifier was cut and twisted together.
- The connector for the rectifier was missing and wires were jammed into a strip connector (for house wiring).
- Old battery tender wires were hanging off the bike with no connectors on them.

So a new brake switch was bought and fitted, then I set about wiring pretty much the whole rear end back together with bullet connectors! This took forever but ended up looking nice and neat:

Note, 2 connectors arent connected to anything because i've just fitted my undertray and dont have a licence plate light. Also nicely shows how I cutted the mudgaurd for my undertray!

Once all the fixes were done, I started modifying:

R&G sliders

Undertray and new plate (it is as hard as they say to fit):

In the post is a double bubble, rear hugger and a fenda extenda jobbie. Bike will be SORN'd until next january when the weather perks up so hopefully by that time all my bits will be on and itll be ready to go!

I'd like to hear what else you think I should do

Last edited by rezus17; 23-11-13 at 08:50 PM.
Old 23-11-13, 07:50 PM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: My second SV

Yeah the bike was like that when my mate bought it! You did really help him out as I think he's hung up his gear for a couple of years

All the bike needs is a fender extender and hugger get the Pyramid plastics hugger. Its a bloody sod to fit but it makes rear wheel work a lot easier

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-13, 07:55 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

What XJ8 have you got?
Old 23-11-13, 08:45 PM   #4
rezus17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Yeah the bike was like that when my mate bought it! You did really help him out as I think he's hung up his gear for a couple of years

All the bike needs is a fender extender and hugger get the Pyramid plastics hugger. Its a bloody sod to fit but it makes rear wheel work a lot easier
I'll be honest its actually the worst i've ever seen a bike wired haha, but was easy enough to set right, just tedious. He was actually really helpful and genuine, which made me much more confident in buying it. It's a genuine suzuki extender coming and an NWS hugger Got it simply because i got a good deal on it. Should be decent enough. Cant possibly be worse than the undertray!

And Tim its actually my dads, but its an XJ8 sport 3.2. Not sure what else you'd want to know!
Old 23-11-13, 08:50 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Now where's pics of Yorkies loom of doom!!

You've got Tims attend with a Shaguar

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 23-11-13, 08:57 PM   #6
rezus17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Now where's pics of Yorkies loom of doom
I regrettably never took before pictures I wish i had, just so i knew what a difference id made.

Bikes should never be wired with these

Especially not with 2 rec/reg wires jammed into one hole
Old 23-11-13, 09:00 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

That it shouldn't

Old 23-11-13, 09:32 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezus17 View Post

Note, 2 connectors arent connected to anything because i've just fitted my undertray and dont have a licence plate light. Also nicely shows how I cutted the mudgaurd for my undertray!
I can see the two empty connectors for the number plate. But shouldn't that other connector, the black one, be connected to something?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-13, 11:37 PM   #9
rezus17

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I can see the two empty connectors for the number plate. But shouldn't that other connector, the black one, be connected to something?
The big black connector is for the ecu, which you can see from the photo i've moved onto the remaining bit of the original undertray. I was moving it around to find a decent place to put it, so i unplugged it. No other reason
Old 24-11-13, 12:39 AM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Just checking...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote