SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-16, 07:18 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Output Shaft Oil Seal

I have a slight oil leak from behind the front sprocket on the freshly built SH2 engine. I need to investigate a little more but assuming the front sprocket nut is still tight the next likely candidate is the output shaft oil seal. If it is can it be replaced with the engine still built and in the frame?

My thinking is to remove the front sprocket, the oil seal retainer plate, the sprocket spacer, and then leaver the seal out. Replace the seal with a little oil to lube, replace the o-ring in the sprocket spacer, stick the retainer plate back on, and finally the sprocket.

How does that sound?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-16, 08:17 PM   #2
SV_archie99

Default Re: Output Shaft Oil Seal

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the seal, but is it possible to use the old trick of screwing in a couple of self tapping screws 180 degrees apart, and grip the heads with two pairs of pliers so you can pull it out square ???
Old 17-07-16, 06:06 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Little update on this. Its still leaking, and worse now!

Basically getting the seal out is easy just leaver it out. Getting the retainer plate off first is a little more fun, the easiest way to do that is to remove the alternator cover to get access to one of the bolts. Anyway, I replaced the seal and the spacer o-ring and reassembled. Still leaking.

So dissembling again to see what was up I found a little rust in the oil behind the seal, the only place this can come from is the spacer. So I order a new one, a new seal, and a new o-ring (along with another alternator cover gasket). Reassemble fire it up and its practically ****ing out to use the technical term. As far as I can tell the seal is fully seated, the spacer is fully seated, and the sprocket nut is on tight all as before.

Suggestions please?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 18-07-16, 01:11 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

only things i can think of is there is a crack in the casing or the output shaft is 'ragged' and ripping the seal. did you clean the output shaft with brake cleaner or sorts and use RRG before putting in the new seal?

even the slightest bit of grit on the seal will cause it to leak.

i had a look at the parts list and if its part# 09280-24010 then you could try going up on the cross section to say 2.5mm and reducing the ID to say 23.5mm http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Sea...duct_info.html

the above will still give the 28.5 outer but will fatten up the cross section and reduce the inner ID.

this will give a good tight seal at the expense of maybe being a bit tight to fit. http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Sea...duct_info.html
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 09:44 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Is the seal a good fit in the case recess? What did you fit it with?
It's very easy to distort the seal when fitting in this manner, only a weeny bit off and it will pee oil out in great abundance.
Lastly, are you sure you have the right bits? Sounds daft I know, but usually if you duff the seal fitting it you'd know.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 11:08 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

To answer the questions and hopefully assist:

I cleaned the shaft by wiping down, no additional solvents. Can't feel anything on the shaft, but that's no guarantee.

I didn't use RRG, just liberal application of new engine oil to assist installation. That is all over the seal, the o-ring and the shaft where there is contact. Once installed any excess was wiped off.

I fitted the new seal by pushing it in then using the old seal reversed so I have a flat surface touching a flat surface with a rather large deep impact socket so it clears the shaft but connects with the seal tapped it into place until the note changed. The o-ring in the spacer was an easy fit. The spacer then was pushed onto the shaft and then again using a deep socket tapped into place. I don't think the seal is out of square in the casing, I've not used calipers to measure just visually and by feel, but it looks fine. But then there is something wrong for sure.

As for the parts I'm using Suzuki OEM. Not got the exact part numbers from the packet as the bins have been collected, however a quick comparison shows the oil seal (09283-36003-000) fits 99-14, the o-ring (09280-24010-000) fits 99-14 and the spacer (27531-19F00-000, though replaced by 27531-19F01) fits 99-14 using the original and superseded numbers. I did visually check the old and new spacer and they appeared the same, but do still have the old one should a comparison be required.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR