SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-05, 03:19 PM   #1
Sledgehammer

Default Flash rate Problems?? (Non LED)

Just fitted some motrax dinky winkas indicators on the front. now the back had small indicators on when i bought it.
now with the engine not running and when you first put your indicators on they flash normal but after about 2-3 flashes they speed up abit.. when you start the engine and give it a small amount of throttle they flash slower as soon as you back the throttle off they speed up..

i never noticed this before i changed the front ones.. and non of them are the LED type..

Could it be because of the wiring as on the standard indicators you could see which wire went to the bulb contact and which went to the surround
on these new ones i could'nt see which was which so i just assumed the solid wire was positive and the wire with stripe was the negative so to speak???

Any suggestions
Old 15-08-05, 04:13 PM   #2
Nouf

Used to have the Dinka Winka, never been a problem.
Old 15-08-05, 04:57 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Although they are bulbs they may well not be 21Watt.

Some small indicators or repeaters have 10W or even 5W bulbs. If both sets were like this it would probably be enough to put the indicator relay into the "fault" mode with fast flashing.

Check what wattage the bulbs are. You might still need some ballast resistors to get the relay load up.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-05, 05:05 PM   #4
Sledgehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
Check what wattage the bulbs are. You might still need some ballast resistors to get the relay load up.
And if i do need these where do you get them from and will i need four??
Old 15-08-05, 05:44 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
And if i do need these where do you get them from and will i need four??
See what the bulbs say first, the wattage is usually (often?) printed on them somewhere.

Maplins will probably do something suitable, but depending what power the bulbs are you'll need to select the value for the resistors. You can probably get away with just using 2 of a suitable resistance, one each side, but see what the bulbs are first. If they are indeed 21watts each then the problem is something else anyway.
Old 15-08-05, 05:52 PM   #6
Sledgehammer

Okay here is the info

front

H21W
11 12

back

12V1W
11 12

now i found that the back ones are LED type so i will need some resistors..
just strange how this didnt show till i put these in could it be that the wires might be wired incorrect as you cant confirm postive with the motrax indicators??

Also what kind of resistor do you think i will need?

Cheers for the help..
Old 15-08-05, 06:41 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

so you'll need one resistor for each of the rear indicators.

Power resistors come in preferred values, a suitable standard value for each is 6.8 Ohms (designated 6R though up to 10 Ohms will probably do.

You really need 25 Watt rated ones, in theory 10 Watt rating will do but they'll still get mighty hot. (the power they'll actually need to handle depends on the voltage applied, 12Volts on a 6R8 gives just under 2 Amps and around 20 Watts while it's actually on, but it's only on for half the time).

Probably the easiest is pop into Hein Gericke if you can, they do some "21Watt" ones specifically for the job (order no. 22001899, they are £1-99 each), saves any faffing around .

Note that they're wired in parallel with the LED, not in series. Just connect one end of the resistor to one wire, and the other end to the other wire at the indicator.
Old 15-08-05, 08:45 PM   #8
Sledgehammer

Sack it i am just going to replace the rear ones for the same as the front as the rear are a silver look so will get them all to match and it will fix the problem...

so if someone is interested in some LED micro arrows let me know...

thanks for the help though..