SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-13, 10:16 PM   #71
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: Garage Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Now then. See all that paint inside the rim of the filler? I'm now convinced it was that paint that ended up in the RGV tank and eventually blocked the fuel tap and filters.

I've checked a few bikes since and it seems to be usually unpainted.

Having said that, I would guess the RGV paint job is at least 15 years old. Probably be fine but you might want to keep an eye on it.

Looking good.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-13, 08:15 AM   #72
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Now then. See all that paint inside the rim of the filler? I'm now convinced it was that paint that ended up in the RGV tank and eventually blocked the fuel tap and filters.

I've checked a few bikes since and it seems to be usually unpainted.

Having said that, I would guess the RGV paint job is at least 15 years old. Probably be fine but you might want to keep an eye on it.

Looking good.
Yep, when my tank was sprayed, he masked the filler orifice
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 12:24 AM   #73
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So not really been doing much with the project, just waiting to get the bike back from the powder coaters, and trying to find the last few remaining parts I currently know I need. So on that subject I've got myself a replacement mudguard.

The original was cracked from the weight of the D-Lock that was hung from it and the replacement I found turned out not to be as undamaged as I first thought. Reed Pete (from the TZR forum) was going to sort me one from a FZR400 as its basically the same but without indicator mounting holes, but then howARD (from the TZR forum) was selling one so thats what arrived the other week.

It was in good condition, just needed a bit of a clean up. So after reading an article in Practical Sportsbikes about tidying up black plastic I thought I'd give it a go. Started by washing it using some Muc Off, followed by a wipe over to remove the remaining grease and dirt with cellulose thinners. Then the dangerous part, application of the heat gun.

The idea of the heat gun is to gently melt the plastic bringing the oils and brightness back to the surface. The risk is if you go too far and burn through the plastic or distort it. Just with this approach the plastic was freshened up a bit but not by a huge amount. So I then rubbed a little black trim restorer in and then reapplied some heat.

I'm pleased with the results though comparing side by side with the original in a photo the difference isn't that pronounced, I think more heat might help, but don't want to risk it.

Also repeated the process on the undertray which look amazing compared to the dirty and gunk covered streak of plastic that I removed from the bike months ago. Next the clocks...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 11:05 PM   #74
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

When stripping down the bike I didn't like the condition of the clocks. The clock surround was rusting and the plastic was faded and dirty. So the first thing I did was take it all apart.

The clock surround has lenses for the dash lights (oil, indicators, etc) glued into it so I couldn't really strip it down any further, but I did want to do something about the rust. So I took the cover down to Jon at Lucknow Garage Repairs, Swindon. Jon has done some work for me in the past so I left it in his capable hands. A couple of days later I picked up a freshly sprayed cover in a nice satin black.

Then it was the simple task of putting it all back together. Cleaned everything up first and treated the rear cover to the same method as the black plastics above to freshen that up. Used some WD40 on the connectors and some of the cellulose thinners to take some of the dirt off in other areas. And the result is that the clocks now look like new.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 11-04-13, 07:46 AM   #75
stuR

Lookin good!
Old 11-04-13, 04:46 PM   #76
ClunkintheUK

Nice. Well impressed with how the plastics have come up.
Old 12-04-13, 10:53 PM   #77
Dabteacake

I have heard of people using smooth peanut butter to bring black plastics upto a nice shine!!
Old 13-04-13, 09:02 AM   #78
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabteacake View Post
I have heard of people using smooth peanut butter to bring black plastics upto a nice shine!!
There's an article in this months Practical Sportsbikes on how to renovate black plastics

Can scan it for you SH, I owe you a favour
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 11:58 AM   #79
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
There's an article in this months Practical Sportsbikes on how to renovate black plastics

Can scan it for you SH, I owe you a favour
Already read it, was more or less following it here. But I think they got better results then me by being more daring with the heat gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabteacake View Post
Now this I've not heard of before. And frankly sounds a bit farfetched, however stranger things have happened at sea. So what's the idea behind it how should one apply it, and what was the person who discovered this doing at the time?

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 13-04-13, 12:05 PM   #80
stuR

Never tried it myself but it appears to work in this link..i guess its the peanut oil soaking in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahum5cvLyXM

Or possibly boiled linseed oil? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1104538

Last edited by stuR; 13-04-13 at 12:09 PM.