SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-12, 01:01 PM   #1
Pionion

Post Help - Electrical Issue/Dead Curvy

Ok so im looking for some advice regarding my 1999 Curvy 650

Few nights ago i went to start my bike, turned ignition on as normal, went to start the bike, it started to turn the bike over then suddenly everything switched off and i now have no dashboard lights or anything when i turn the key.

My first thought was ignition fuse - Checked and Replaced

Next thought was dead battery, Tested old one, seemed fine but bought a replacement and fitted anyway to be safe, but still everything is dead
Checked the connections and wiring accessible from battery compartment and everything again seems okay

So now i have run out of any ideas, garages are closing for Christmas and money is a bit tight

Any advice would be greatly recieved

Graham
Old 21-12-12, 01:47 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help - Electrical Issue/Dead Curvy

Have you checked the main fuse? It's not in the fuse box, it's on the starter solenoid under the right hand seat panel.
Once you've located it, pinch the tangs, pull the greenish translucent cover off and you'll see two* green 30A fuses, one is the fuse, one is a spare, the spare one just sits in a plastic holder - no metal contacts.

*Unless someone's nicked the spare of course - not unknown.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12, 02:23 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

The other thing to check (once you've found the main fuse and sorted as reqd.) is whether you have any chafed wiring, there are a few well known places on a curvey.

1 - Check behind where the riders seat securing bolts go into the frame, take the black plastic triangles off first (both sides IIRC). The wiring harness runs just behind these bolts and they tend to be a touch too long and hit the harness. Consider shortening the bolts slightly or adding a washer.
2 - Check under the pillion seat in the cubby box at the left side of the bike towards the back, the wiring wraps round a frame bracket and can wear througfh on the edge.
3 - Check generally round the headstock where wiring can rub as you turn the bars.
Old 21-12-12, 03:11 PM   #4
Pionion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Have you checked the main fuse? It's not in the fuse box, it's on the starter solenoid under the right hand seat panel.
Once you've located it, pinch the tangs, pull the greenish translucent cover off and you'll see two* green 30A fuses, one is the fuse, one is a spare, the spare one just sits in a plastic holder - no metal contacts.

*Unless someone's nicked the spare of course - not unknown.
Cheers for the speedy replies guys, turns out it was the Green 30A fuse
Must say i feel rather stupid having forgotten completely that this fuse existed and having checked the others etc etc

Problem solved

Thanks for the help guys
Old 27-12-12, 12:03 AM   #5
Pionion

Okay guys, today i was riding my bike and my speedometer and rev counter were randomly shooting up and coming back down as i was riding and also whilst stationary, having stopped the bike after reaching my destination and then riding it home again a few hours later it was fine

Went to use my bike again tonight, put my bike into gear and once again the bike died, checked the 30A fuse and it has blown again

Obviously tomorrow i will be replacing my fuse

I feel there must be something more to my problems than just the fuse, especially as this will be my second fuse in a week and the speedometer/tach blipping i eperienced earlier today :S

Any ideas what may be causing these? if they are related?
Old 27-12-12, 12:24 AM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've had similar issues before...

First as Embee suggested check these wiring points for damage. Next check your battery connection is tight, a loose connection can cause the clocks to dance about. Next I would check the charging system. There are lots of guides on here on how to do that. I am suspecting that your reg rec has gone, is it the original Suzuki item or a replacement, what mileage has the bike done? Not the last reg rec I replaced, but the one before that was blowing the main fuse. New reg rec, new fuse and it was all sorted. And if it isn't that then at least you've checked your charging system which is one of the biggest weak points of the Curvy.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-12, 12:34 AM   #7
Pionion

Well after putting the new Battery on, i did all the various voltage test, ie, idle voltage, off voltage, revving at 5k all that sorta thing and everything was coming back as fine so i assumed all was good, wiring seems fine all the way through

Connections at battery are ok
Mileage is just over 22k

Is there a way to test the reg/rec? or is it just the voltage test across the battery at the different stages and scenarios?

Last edited by Pionion; 27-12-12 at 12:50 AM.
Old 27-12-12, 12:50 AM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Check the main wiring loom where it runs past the rider seat bolt on the left. It's been known for the bolt to go through the insulation and cause a short.

Also check the the plug going to the starter solenoid....that's were the main fuse is.
Unplug it and check for any signs of the melting insulation on the inside of plug and on the solenoid.

That usually happens when the plug is not seated correctly. The result is arcing as it gets bounced about and eventually causes a short.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 27-12-12 at 12:51 AM.
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-12, 12:54 AM   #9
Pionion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
Check the main wiring loom where it runs past the rider seat bolt on the left. It's been known for the bolt to go through the insulation and cause a short.

Also check the the plug going to the starter solenoid....that's were the main fuse is.
Unplug it and check for any signs of the melting insulation on the inside of plug and on the solenoid.

That usually happens when the plug is not seated correctly. The result is arcing as it gets bounced about and eventually causes a short.
Okay i will make a note of this, go grab a new 30A fuse in the morning, and check the Starter Solenoid and report back
Old 27-12-12, 01:05 AM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Oops, missed embee's post...he'd already mentioned checking the left side of the riders seat.

I ought to quit speed reading.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote