SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-09-11, 10:31 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Winter Proofing My Garage

Need some advice as I need to winter proof my garage.

I accept that its not going to be nice and toasty in there as the central heating doesn't extend that far... yet. But I've been in garages where it was colder inside then outside and I don't want to do that any more.

The big weak point is the door. I was thinking of some additional rubber strips and draft excluder's around the edges to cut out the wind effect. But the door itself is only a couple of mm of tin foil. Would gluing loft insulation to the inside be a good idea or can another solution be found?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 10:43 PM   #2
MisterTommyH

Default Re: Winter Proofing My Garage

You need 200-300mm of loft insulation to even start getting a decent effect. It might be better to get some rigid board insulation (kingspan or similar) and try that. Should have some effect with decent coverage.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 10:45 PM   #3
thefallenangel

If you have juice in there, go with some small tubular heaters too. At 60w/foot they are pretty good with a well insulated building. Draft excluding would be a good start also air flow helps too.
Old 06-09-11, 10:59 PM   #4
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

You need to generate heat Steve dear...that means that when you go into your garage...

...you actually do some work, rather than just stand around staring at all your pretty things 'n' stuff...lol.
Old 06-09-11, 11:08 PM   #5
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Firstly, as Cheryl says, actually do some work and you will be warmer.

Secondly get a leccy heater with a fan in it, that three panel one you've got that oscillates is crap unless you are sat right next to it.

Then I'd get the brush type draught draught excluders around the edges of your door and a big long one (oo-er) to go across the bottom of the door. I'd go for some Cellotex sheet from Wickes to line the garage door and possibly the back wall of your garage with.

Happy to help (but to ACTUALLY help with the garage will cost you extra)

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 11:18 PM   #6
Bri w

Move the garage to Cape Town

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 09:01 AM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Be careful just using a fan heater in an otherwise cold and damp garage. You only have to look at your visor to see the effect of warm air hitting a cold surface..... Your bikes will end up wetter than if you had left them outside!

I'd go with making it as draft proof and insulated as you can before even thinking about trying to heat it. If you can run to a roller door instead of an up and over they seal much better and the slats are already an inch think with insulation in the middle.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 09:02 AM   #8
arenalife

A drafty garage is good for the bike though, last thing you want is a stuffed up condensation box. For the big area of metal like the door, polystyrene on a roll is very good, cheap and easy. It doesn't keep the heat in but what it does do is stop the air in the room contacting the cold metal and getting chilled. If you can board the floor out with OSB board the floor is always warm to the touch (and soft), that's much better than concrete (cleaner too). If you can do that and stop the drafts while you're in there, even a small heater will keep it toasty.

Last edited by arenalife; 07-09-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-09-11, 01:37 PM   #9
tweakedtay

What kind of door does your garage have? Slats (usually 4-5) or just a single large piece?

Either way, I recommend (being from the frozen wasteland) heavy insulation in the walls, at least 5 inches thick. Weather stripping on the sides of the door, and a new, improved garage door bottom. All of which is purchasable from your local hardware store. And, like everyone's saying, you can't go wrong with a space heater. Trust me on this, I've had to work on my car in -50.
Old 07-09-11, 05:32 PM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The door is a single sheet up and over. I cannot replace this. Or at least I don't think I can need to check the tenancy agreement...

I don't intend to have it heated permanently, only while I'm in there working and really just to take the edge off of it so hopefully condensation will not be a problem but I will keep an eye on that.

How heavy is this insulation stuff and would it effect the opening of the door?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote