SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-15, 10:47 AM   #141
millemille

Default Re: SV special build - S-pokey-V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Great progress, keep the updates coming.

Question on the oil cooler... With it being mounted higher on the bike then standard and with further to send the oil, can the pump cope? I really have no idea about what sort of pressure and load the system can cope with so its a genuine question.

Also on the subject of the oil cooler is that the standard take off points? Its been a while since I've had an injection engine in the garage and it looks like an adapter to me.
The standard oil pump will be fine, the only difference due to the oil cooler will be to add extra oil equivalent to the volume of the hoses and cooler so that the oil pickup isn't exposed with the engine running.

It's a sandwich plate at the moment, when I build the tuned engine I'll machine the cases to fit unions and the plugs.
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 10:27 PM   #142
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Rather than machining the cases is there any reason why your not using a injection engines case?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 11:26 AM   #143
millemille

Quote:
Rather than machining the cases is there any reason why your not using a injection engines case?
Er, because it's a carbed engine?
Old 06-02-15, 09:06 PM   #144
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yeah I know your running carbs. But based on what you are looking at doing I'm wondering if the injection engine is the easier option. To convert an injection to carb all you really need to do is swap the alternator/ stator, and the intake boots. Providing you are using pre twin spark. But as you are going to up the cc to 700 you'll be swapping the heads anyway so that's not really going to be a problem.

If you are going to machine the cases I assume you will be stripping the engine all the way down to ensure that there is no swarf left in there after the machining. And so if you get an injection engine all you need to do is a top end swap. Just thinking what would make your life easier.

Alternatively you can just use the sandwich plate. These are all options I've considered myself and from my perspective I decided that injection cases are the better option for what I intend to achieve.

Unless there is some other reason you want to machine the cases?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 06-02-15, 09:13 PM   #145
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

SH has a point it's a better option unless your going down doing crank and gearbox swaps

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-15, 11:28 AM   #146
millemille

Quote:
Yeah I know your running carbs. But based on what you are looking at doing I'm wondering if the injection engine is the easier option. To convert an injection to carb all you really need to do is swap the alternator/ stator, and the intake boots. Providing you are using pre twin spark. But as you are going to up the cc to 700 you'll be swapping the heads anyway so that's not really going to be a problem.

If you are going to machine the cases I assume you will be stripping the engine all the way down to ensure that there is no swarf left in there after the machining. And so if you get an injection engine all you need to do is a top end swap. Just thinking what would make your life easier.

Alternatively you can just use the sandwich plate. These are all options I've considered myself and from my perspective I decided that injection cases are the better option for what I intend to achieve.

Unless there is some other reason you want to machine the cases?
1. Why would a big bore require the heads to be swapped?

2. If I'm going to lighten the crank the cases will have to be split anyway.

3. The engine is already stripped with bare cases for the dry build of the bike as it's far easier to fit and drop a set of empty cases than a whole engine.

Sometimes, my friend, I get the impression you think about things too much....
Old 07-02-15, 05:42 PM   #147
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yeah I probably do think about things a little to much. But I'm only a self taught enthusiastic amateur so unless I ask questions of people who know what they are doing, how else will I learn...

1. Probably wasn't as clear as I could be. If you were to use an injection engine cases and it was a twin spark, as you'll be changing the barrels for the bore swapping the heads then wouldn't be an issue as you'll already be in there.

2. Who will be doing the crank lightening please?

3. If you've already emptied the cases most of its a moot point anyway.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 21-02-15, 07:35 PM   #148
millemille

Exhaust fabrication nearly finished, 1 bend and 1 slip joint left to do and some dressing of internal welds.

Lots of small jobs complete or under way - coolant hoses and clamps, rad guard, shark fin etc.

Bike as it stands ATM is about 75% complete. The "To Do" list is down to 3 pages now...

Old 21-02-15, 07:37 PM   #149
millemille

Old 21-02-15, 07:41 PM   #150
maviczap
Mega Poster

It'll be ready for the good weather hopefully
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote