SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Hardware Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-10-10, 12:22 AM   #11
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tools, Halfords Advanced general tools

I keep looking at the ratchet spanners but wondered how tough the mechanism was. Anyone been jumping up and down on them with good results?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:38 AM   #12
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've not used the ratchet spanners with the flexible heads that TFA has bought but have used the other ratchet spanners that they do and found them very useful for getting in spaces that a socket cannot find.

As for jumping up and down on them, for tightening things not a problem, but you are of course restrained by the length of the tool which is I find proportional to the torque that you can and often should apply. The need for jumping on them however suggests to me undoing a highly torqued bolt, which I would then argue that a ratchet spanner is not the best application and a breaker bar would be far more useful.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:49 AM   #13
TamSV
Mega Poster

Jumping up and down was a bit of an exaggeration. I don't actually do that (OK, maybe sometimes).

I just thought they might be one of those gimmicky things that don't actually work that well in practice. Sounds like that's not the case. If there's a sale on I'll maybe give them a go.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:00 AM   #14
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Na, they do have a real application very useful. You can live without them but when you need them they make the job so much easier. The set I've gone for are on a permanent reduction from £80 to £40 so the 15% off has tipped the balance for me.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 03-10-10, 08:46 AM   #15
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Na, they do have a real application very useful. You can live without them but when you need them they make the job so much easier. The set I've gone for are on a permanent reduction from £80 to £40 so the 15% off has tipped the balance for me.

didn't go for the flexible head one's at £30 + 15% off then?

I had the E-torx spanners too along with the big spanners and screwdrivers.
Old 03-10-10, 08:58 AM   #16
timwilky
Mega Poster

When I worked for Leyland trucks, I saw snap-on 2ft knuckle bars snap. I therefore believe there is no such thing as an unbreakable tool. It then comes down to how the aftersales respond.

I have an ex mod with the arrow stamping snap on 18" 1/2" drive ratchet. the gearing was knackered. I mentioned it to my local snap on delaer and about a week later he knocked on my door with a refurb kit for it. Great service, that is why I recommend them. I do have a halfrauds trade card and buy bits from them as a last resort when the local factors are closed. But I have yet to be convinced their tools are any better than other manufacturers.

I do have some (I will go mad if the swearing sensor hit this) King **** sockets that were issued to my father when he was installing missile systems in the fifties. Those definitely have lasted a lifetime.
Old 03-10-10, 09:00 AM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

Bloody swearing filter, I said it was a King Dick sockets. Nah Nah swearing filter.
Old 03-10-10, 09:06 AM   #18
thefallenangel

i'm not saying Halfords are the best but for the price on offer some of the stuff is really good value.

Compared to our local industrial suppliers who never have anything in stock i want.

Here's an example Teng 1/4" socket set i got for work was £40 + VAT where as the halfords one is £13.50 at the minute. While the teng one has deep reach sockets too the halfords one had a 14mm socket in.
Old 03-10-10, 09:32 AM   #19
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
didn't go for the flexible head one's at £30 + 15% off then?

I had the E-torx spanners too along with the big spanners and screwdrivers.
Not this time. I'm not sure when I would need a flexible head one so would be interested in your experience with them. However I'm sure they will be at that price again at some point so I'll get them then, I've spent far to much money this weekend already.

The set of big spanners are all out of stock round by me but I'm pretty sure I have those sizes already, but at £8, bargain. Out of interest though which screwdrivers have you gone for?

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 03-10-10, 09:36 AM   #20
thefallenangel

8 piece advanced. I'm also building up a set of advanced insulated ones for work. I've used my insulated and it feels a lot better than your typical electrical screwdrivers.

For £8.50 for 8 screwdrivers is birlliant.