SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-16, 04:27 PM   #1
thedyna

Default The dreaded engine swap

So, engine finally went pop.

Nothing too daunting, have dropped the engine on a R125, ZX7R, ZX9R, FZR600.

Disconnected everything, all bolts out.

Engine is still in the bike, what am I missing ? Seriously thought it'd take me a few hours. Just packed up after 6, scratching my head.

Am I to drop disconnect the rear head before it all comes out ?

2007 SV650S Single Spark engine.

On another note, I've got an almost new engine sitting in my shed. What can I do to it just to get a bit more power out of it ? More aggressive cams. What else do you guys think engine wise ?
Old 25-09-16, 10:25 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: The dreaded engine swap

I've done this more than once.

No you don't have to remove the rear head, however you need to be sure you've removed and disconnected everything. Not all bolts go through the engine some just mount into the heads. I can't remember exactly how many there are, 6 probably.

Assuming all bolts are out is there any movement in the engine, you should be able to rock the engine? If not the engine mounting adjusters might be holding the engine into the frame. They are castellated nuts and can be a little stubborn on occasion.

If you have got movement check the rear exhaust pipe. If you still have the stub on the head it can catch on the back of the frame and prevent removal. As you take the engine out you need to move it forward slightly as it drops down.

Other than that without seeing what you have removed it will be difficult to suggest what is presenting the challenge.

Turning to the what to do with the engine question, the most common answer is a Cam Swap. Other than that, how much do you want to spend? Big bore, lighten flywheel, Hayabusa pistons, thinner head gasket, the list can go on. If you have cams to hand chuck them in. If not check the valve clearances and shove it in.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-16, 09:05 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: The dreaded engine swap

The engine is often wedged firmly between the centre mount's adjusters.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote