SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-13, 01:41 PM   #1
mase_tw

Default Digital Gear Indicator.. Opinions?

Hi,

Anyone got one on their bike here? Been looking at a few cheap ones on eBay and wanted to know if anyone had experience with them or not.

For the sake of 15 odd quid i might take the risk lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-or-Blu...item5d35d9d3ce

Cheers

Mason
Old 26-06-13, 01:47 PM   #2
warrenhewitt10

Default Re: Digital Gear Indicator.. Opinions?

I have one on my R6, fitted by the last owner, from the look of it and the box etc id say its a pretty dear one, but its dreadful. rarely shows the correct gear, and the colour of the screen on it is the same as the high beam indicator so when im riding along I always catch it out of the corner of my eye and think oh no my lights are blinding people.

Ill look at the brand when im home! Dont really think its needed though, you learn the bike over time and can usually tell what gear its in.
Old 26-06-13, 01:57 PM   #3
stuR

Ive got one on my gixxer, i aint rode it yet so i cant say myself but a freind who has ridden it tells me it is shocking...
Old 26-06-13, 02:13 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

when you cant go any further up the box your in top gear. if the bikes labouring then your in the wrong gear move down one. if the bikes revving it's nut off your in the wrong gear move up one. simple really.

the only time i could do with an indicator is in top gear as i'm always trying to change up into 7th on motorways.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-13, 02:51 PM   #5
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the only time i could do with an indicator is in top gear as i'm always trying to change up into 7th on motorways.
You're not the only one
Old 26-06-13, 02:54 PM   #6
Dave81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
when you cant go any further up the box your in top gear. if the bikes labouring then your in the wrong gear move down one. if the bikes revving it's nut off your in the wrong gear move up one. simple really.

Haha, me too!
Old 26-06-13, 04:39 PM   #7
cheesypeeps

Default Digital Gear Indicator.. Opinions?

Interesting thread.
I was convinced my biking wasn't working for me cos I was in the wrong gear. I'd get to a bend and not know what gear I was in and would worry about going down too many.
Spoke to my mate about getting a gear indicator. He was really against it. Said I should feel and hear what the bike was doing. Using my rev counter as a tool.
I listened to him and now I feel so much better and I have not got a gear indicator. Perhaps a more purist approach but perseverance and you'll get there without the aid of a gadget which could be wrong anyways.
Old 26-06-13, 05:21 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

why do people assume that knowing what gear your in makes a difference to going round corners or generally riding a bike

rule of thumb.. if it feels right it's right for you.

i also feel the same way about rev counters. i never ever look at the thing, in fact most of the time it's hidden by my spaznav. only time it comes in handy is when i'm doing maintenance on the bike.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-13, 05:49 PM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Mine came with one built in - only useful for learning the bike, especially as I moved from an SV to an IL4. Rarely look at it now. Same with the tacho as per Bib above.
Old 26-06-13, 05:55 PM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I wouldn't mind a gear indicator. More to stop me from looking for that magical 7th gear (one day I will find it) than anything. But on occasion I do think it would be nice to know just in case I try to go down 1 to many gears for the corner which I have done in the past.

I wouldn't depend on it, just use it now and again as I would agree with what has been said about getting the feel of the bike rather than knowing the number of the gear. Just would be nice to see now and again.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote