SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-09, 11:08 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Chain And Sprockets

Yes its another one of these threads, but hopefully a little different this time...

I need a new chain and sprockets for my '99 SV650S. A trusted local dealer will do it for £120 fitted or I could get...

DID X-Ring £79.50 or O-Ring £69.99 or DID O-Ring £59.99.

And then get a Whale Tool.

So depending on my options it will either workout about the same or a little bit more. But either way it will mean that I'll have my own Whale which I've wanted for a while.

So my questions, is that the Whale I am looking for, and should I get it from there (read anywhere cheaper)? And which C&S kit should I go for, and is it wise to use eBay for it?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 11:15 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Chain And Sprockets

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bi...16&cat2=Suzuki

B&C for me. Tsukabi X-ring with chavy gold and JT Steel sprockets..

I personally ordered one of these, they seem to get the nod around here. £105 inc delivery. Would have arrived today but my Mum took the dogs out and I left for my course!

I can't help you with the chain tool, although I seem to recall my Dad saying a decent chain splitter/riveter is around £100, but then again I'm a noob.

£120 is a very good price fitted if it's OE chain+sprockets, bear that in mind most places will charge 1-2 hours labour for it. Personally I'd do this, it seems good value.
Old 18-05-09, 11:27 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The garage will fit an EK for that price, I'm hoping to come in around that price doing it myself so Tsukabi X-ring with chavy gold and JT Steel sprockets sounds like a lot of brand names to me that I don't want to pay for. This one is all about the budget...

As for the tool, yep thats what I thought so I'm a little intrigued at Demon Tweeks price, plus B&C have a confusing number of Whales.

As for 1 - 2 hours to fit, no way. I've done three chains before and thats how long it takes me. A professional should be able to do it in a fraction of that time.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 11:35 PM   #4
Jamiebridges123

Tsukabi X-ring gold chain is a high quality chain and the JT steel sprockets are good stuff. If it's all about the budget pay the £120 as that's a damn good price for C&S supplied&fitted!
Old 19-05-09, 06:56 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

just FYI the whale riveter, whilst a very good bit of kit, isn't fool proof and requires a bit of practise to get right.

However once learn it's an easy job, for the price they are selling it at Demon tweeks I wonder if the tool option actually comes with a pin in it, but even so £58 +£18 is still a good price.

Budget, well if you have a scottoiler fitted and lets say you get 20k to a chain & sprocket set, he's charging you what £20 to fit , then it's 4 x change or 80k before you break even (not counting you own time or any screw ups).

Oh and that's not including any cost on taking it off (grinder discs).

I have a riveter tool, but one of these as it's good for cam chains to, but normally get the guys to do it when chnging tyres to be honest.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 19-05-09 at 06:58 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 07:11 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

My advice on the riveter is to avoid the cheap! Like any tool you get what you pay for. I spent $50 on this cheap chinese made thing and it sucessfully riveted 1 and half chains before the pin shattered. I then bought this:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...216&click=8320

And it is lovely! Actually made riveting a chain a pleasure! It was a lot more $$ than the other one, but it is already 0.5 chains up on the cheap tool and looks like it'll last for ages.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 19-05-09 at 07:14 AM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 07:54 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
My advice on the riveter is to avoid the cheap! Like any tool you get what you pay for. I spent $50 on this cheap chinese made thing and it sucessfully riveted 1 and half chains before the pin shattered. I then bought this:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...216&click=8320

And it is lovely! Actually made riveting a chain a pleasure! It was a lot more $$ than the other one, but it is already 0.5 chains up on the cheap tool and looks like it'll last for ages.
that looks a nice bit of kit Luke, how much was it ?

Oh and I'd second what he said about cheap tools.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 09:54 AM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
that looks a nice bit of kit Luke, how much was it ?

Oh and I'd second what he said about cheap tools.
I paid a fortune being in the middle of nowhere - but that place in the US ships to the uk so at the current exchnage rate about 70 quid + shipping.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 10:08 AM   #9
lee67

rufforth autojumble(1st sat of every month) gold triple s chain £40..used em on 140bhp bike's with no problems.....£30 for sprockets..fit yourself £70 all in happy days
Old 19-05-09, 12:59 PM   #10
breakz187

Is that kit any good? I need to buy one asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
just FYI the whale riveter, whilst a very good bit of kit, isn't fool proof and requires a bit of practise to get right.

However once learn it's an easy job, for the price they are selling it at Demon tweeks I wonder if the tool option actually comes with a pin in it, but even so £58 +£18 is still a good price.

Budget, well if you have a scottoiler fitted and lets say you get 20k to a chain & sprocket set, he's charging you what £20 to fit , then it's 4 x change or 80k before you break even (not counting you own time or any screw ups).

Oh and that's not including any cost on taking it off (grinder discs).

I have a riveter tool, but one of these as it's good for cam chains to, but normally get the guys to do it when chnging tyres to be honest.

Cheers Mark
breakz187 is offline   Reply With Quote