SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-09, 08:59 PM   #61
kwak zzr

Default Re: I've Killed Another One

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I know I'm an idiot.

lmao lol that did make me chuckle lol
Old 30-08-09, 01:18 PM   #62
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I have been busy striping. I have also started taking the engine apart.

The heads and barrels are off, I'll start on the rest of the block tomorrow as I'm running out of storage and need to get some crates.

The liners of the barrels look good no obvious scoring or marks on them. The pistons crowns are covered in carbon as are the valves. There is also oil around the piston rings and on the skirt of the piston as can be seen in the photos below. Comments on condition of these would be appreciated or if the phots are not clear more can be provided or what sort of things should I be looking for?

But so far the most worrying find was the swarf that was holding onto the cam chain adjuster of the rear cylinder as I removed it (pictured next to the adjuster). Couldn't see any obvious damage to the cam chain or the casing around it but that lump of metal has came from somewhere...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 01:28 PM   #63
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

And as a point of interest this is the old exhaust studs vs. a new set.

They have rusted the entire length of the stud even what should have be protected from the elements by the barrel and the bolts are rusted solid to the stud.

Also all of the external engine bolts such as the valve cover bolts on the front cylinder will replaced on assembly as they were making me worry as I removed them. They were all rusting quite badly and more than one of them was at serious risk of rounding.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 30-08-09, 04:48 PM   #64
Red Herring
Mega Poster

What do the camshaft lobes and journals look like, any blueing or scoring?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 05:13 PM   #65
daved407

I'd say cams and top end need checking too. Id guess they may be last to get oil (or 710 as Richie put it) when levels are low. My experiance on SV is limited but as a basic engine it makes sense it could get its oil last at the head. As a point of interest, does the SV pump oil onto the thrust side of the bore thru the con rod?
Old 30-08-09, 10:23 PM   #66
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

There was defiantly no blueing on the cams and they looked good to me but I will get some pics of them up tomorrow for a second opinion.

As for how the SV pumps the oil round, that I don't know, but I'd like to find out as well...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 31-08-09, 07:18 AM   #67
Red Herring
Mega Poster

It would have been really obvious when you took the cam covers off if you'd cooked the top end so looks like you got away with that. Now you've got the barrels off is there any play in the big/little ends (just grab a piston and rattle)?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-09, 08:21 AM   #68
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That little end pin doesn't look too happy, can you feel any scoring?
Old 31-08-09, 01:47 PM   #69
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well I had another look at the Cams and I can't see anything, but here is a pic of one of them, all be it not very clear if it helps.

As for the little end...

Yep I can feel some groves in it where the brown lines are. I also gave the con rods a shake. On the front I get some movement side to side and on the rear I have more movement both side to side and up and down. I take it from that its the big end gone then?

Play has stopped for today as I can't find my clutch holding tool. But I know someone else who has one, they will be getting a visit in a couple of days. Oh and I think I need a new clutch.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 02-09-09, 03:41 PM   #70
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Yep I can feel some groves in it where the brown lines are. I also gave the con rods a shake. On the front I get some movement side to side and on the rear I have more movement both side to side and up and down. I take it from that its the big end gone then?
Yep, big end gone.

There should be some side to side movement but it should be the entire rod sliding parallel to the crank IYSWIM, there should be *no* up/down and no side to side wobble.

FWIW (and I should maybe have said this earlier) the easy test for big end bearings is to remove spark plugs, turn the engine to just past top dead centre, stick something in the barrel to be tested and use it to push down on the piston (while making sure the engine doesn't turn), if you can move the piston the big end is shafted.

Druid