SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

For Sale - SV's and SV related items For SV's and SV spare parts only. 650 or 1000 No other items Unsanctioned trade ads will be deleted as will spam and chat.

Old 16-10-15, 01:35 PM   #31
millemille

Default Re: Curvy lightened Flywheel assembly

We recently sold a lightened flywheel assembly to a customer by the name of Lawrence in Manchester who has a pointy SV650.

His flywheel had Ti bolts and was 0.81lb lighter than standard.

Here's some of his feedback...

"It definitely turns much more nicely now..."

"With regards the acceleration, it feels perkier all round, when the revs get above about 8500 it feels much freer revving. The most obvious thing is still donking it down through the cogs quickly, the revs just surge up with no problems at all, the back end doesn't even think about locking up, it's really good."

Also bear in mind that the pointy flywheel is a fair but lighter than the curvy flywheel to start off with. A curvy flywheel can be made 1.27lb lighter than stock, so the improvement in "feel" will be more pronounced on a curvy.

Last edited by millemille; 18-10-15 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Customer looking at the wrong dyno charts!
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 04:37 PM   #32
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well I thought I'd post something up in case any one was considering this. While I can't give any feedback on the flywheel once installed I can show a couple of pictures I took and comment on the great service I got from millemille.

I sent a spare flywheel I had off and in about a week I got a modified one back for use on a road bike. So I thought I'd take a couple of pictures side by side with another spare to see where the mass is removed from.

Modified is on the right.

While I was doing this comparison I noticed that there were no longer the timing marks on the wheel so contacted millemille. He said that while the timing marks are not the most accurate and that the cam lobe position can be used for getting the right position for the valve clearances, I wasn't the first person to ask. Thus he was putting the marks back on in the later batches and if I wanted I could have them added to mine. So as I need all the help I can get I sent mine back to have the marks put on. Which was also quite useful as I also asked for the TI bolts.

About a week later the flywheel came back with the bolts and marks on it. So I decided to compare the weight on my not 100% accurate cheapo scales.

Quite a weight saving.

So while I cant comment on the results yet the service was beyond fault and I'm very happy with the flywheel I have. Have to wait a bit before its used in anger. Just thought I'd post this up in case anyone was wanting to hear first hand from a customer if they were thinking of getting one.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 05:15 PM   #33
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep, its on my to do list. Cam swap first, then this, and the stepped timing key at the same time.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 09:17 PM   #34
millemille

Thanks for the kind words @squirrel_hunter, we aim to please.....

If anyone is interested I've got a few 3 magnet flywheels for race bike use, both curvy and pointy, which can be had for a 10% discount if on exchange or for £175 (steel bolts) if bought outright.
Old 10-11-15, 08:10 AM   #35
curlylee

How much for a pointy with titanium bolts outright posted cheers lee
curlylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 09:23 AM   #36
millemille

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylee View Post
How much for a pointy with titanium bolts outright posted cheers lee
6 or 3 magnet?
Old 10-11-15, 10:25 AM   #37
curlylee

3 for track bike
curlylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 10:55 AM   #38
millemille

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylee View Post
3 for track bike
I've got one 3 magnet pointy flywheel left that I can do with Ti bolts for £210 posted.

Last edited by millemille; 10-11-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 26-11-15, 10:50 AM   #39
millemille

Just a quick one...

Anyone posting flywheels in for lightening; PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pack your flywheel with loads of bubble wrap and other shock absorbing packing. A customer has sent in a flywheel with no protective packing, just in a box, and it's got destroyed in the post. Flywheels are not designed to survive sharp impacts and the magnets will come off/shatter/split, rendering your flywheel fit for scrap only.
Old 01-02-16, 05:54 PM   #40
CLARKYsv

Do you take credit card? :P Looking at getting this done soon.