SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-09-11, 05:22 PM   #1
Stuuk1

Default Halfords Lifetime Guarantee.

Ive always thought this is great, and any advert you see about their professional tools boasts about it.

A while back I bought an 8mm ratchet spanner. The ratchet slips and its completely useless.

I took it back today and they told me that the mechanical part isn't covered in the lifetime guarantee!

I looked it up through Google and its true, it isn't. Well thats just pants.

I can understand that idiots do misuse tools and yes, put enough stress on a ratchet and it will damage something, but still.... This isn't good enough and definitely would think twice before spending more money on a larger ratchet.
Old 09-09-11, 05:57 PM   #2
ahmedf

Default Re: Halfords Lifetime Guarantee...

take it to another branch. they are not consistent with their policy so whereas one says no we wont replace,another branch wont give a toss.

Also look for a young, new, inexperienced member of staff and ask him and it should be fine...has worked for me.

HTH
Old 09-09-11, 06:11 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedf View Post
take it to another branch. they are not consistent with their policy so whereas one says no we wont replace,another branch wont give a toss.

Also look for a young, new, inexperienced member of staff and ask him and it should be fine...has worked for me.

HTH
Good advice.

I have had a ratchet replaced before after it spent some time in the wet and locked up...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 06:50 PM   #4
SpikeTM

Either that post it to me and i'll get it swapped , my missis is sales manager in our local Halfords
Old 09-09-11, 07:02 PM   #5
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedf View Post

HTH
I did that, got some young kiddie who was so shy he couldnt even look me in the eye and hardly spoke loud enough for me to hear, he went and spoke to two other people before i gave up.

Its only an 8mm spanner at the end of the day which I use perhaps 5 times a year... still.

Having looked up their policy, it even says you need proof of purchase!

Thanks for your offer Spike, but you are in Scotland! I shall find another branch and try my luck
Old 09-09-11, 07:13 PM   #6
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
Thanks for your offer Spike, but you are in Scotland!
Get the mail coach to take it to the end of the line at Carlisle and I'll come and pick it up.
Old 09-09-11, 07:26 PM   #7
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
Ive always thought this is great, and any advert you see about their professional tools boasts about it.

A while back I bought an 8mm ratchet spanner. The ratchet slips and its completely useless.

I took it back today and they told me that the mechanical part isn't covered in the lifetime guarantee!

I looked it up through Google and its true, it isn't. Well thats just pants.

I can understand that idiots do misuse tools and yes, put enough stress on a ratchet and it will damage something, but still.... This isn't good enough and definitely would think twice before spending more money on a larger ratchet.
Yep, i discovered this when shopping for a rachet set, the guarantee is all but useless. It the only reason i was willing to pay the premium for, until i read the terms.
Old 09-09-11, 08:57 PM   #8
The Idle Biker

So what does the lifetime guarantee cover, spontaneous combustion or death by rust. I had a Halfords car battery fail after 4 months that had a 3 year guarantee. I took it back and the bloke said " I can't change it unless you have the guarantee form". " Guarantee form?" I said " what guarantee form"? "The till receipt, we need the till receipt". " do leave off mate, who hangs onto till receipts for 4 months, let alone 3 years, check the bar code or something". "No we can't it's policy" he said. "get your battery tester out and test it" I said. " do you have a receipt ?" he said. "no i don't, do you have a battery tester?" "yes" he said. "Right test it now before I get annoyed". he tested it and said mmm yes it has a fault. "Right I said, please change it now" ....."well" he said "no ones looking, just take that one on the end of the aisle". "FFS OK" and I did. Two months down the line the banger I fitted it into snapped its Cam belt or something and the repair outweighs the value of the Car. It's now scrapped, minus the battery which has pride of place in the Garage. Who wants it, £50 with a lifetime Idle Biker Guarantee.
Old 09-09-11, 09:05 PM   #9
DJFridge

I've obviously missed the advert but I've never been convinced that anything on sale in Halfords is good enough to make it through a one year warranty, let alone a lifetime one!
Old 09-09-11, 09:22 PM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The guarantee from what I remember covers everything apart from the ratchet/ mechanical mechanism. But as I have stated before I still have had a ratchet swapped. I have also had other items replaced that have broken, but only a couple of bits so no great rate of failure.

I have been asked for the receipt before and another time I was not asked. I don't keep receipts from 4 years ago let alone 4 weeks. When I was asked for it and I didn't have it, my reply of "it was a present" worked wonders...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote