SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-09-09, 10:30 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Today I Rode A Real Race Bike

Yep, managed to get a ride on a real race bike today. This bike was only ever built for the track and I got a go on it, race tyres 'n all.

Its a Metrakit Mini GP 50.

It belongs to my boss, and is raced in the MiniGP50 British Championship by his son Sam Coleman. Sam is currently running in 13th place in the Championship having missed the first 3 rounds following a massive but impressive highside at the start of the season where he broke his arm.

I got to ride it today as a shake down test of the gear box following an engine rebuild. As this engine is being swapped out for a more powerful Derbi motor for the rest of the season and will either be kept as a spare or sold on to fund the racing.

I've got to say its fantastic. I love the 2 Stroke, it takes me back to my youth. The smell, the sound, the narrow power band, the memories. I got to razz it up and down the industrial estate I'm on and even got a bit of an audience while doing it. I think I got up to about 40mph on it, it will go faster but the jetting is out on it as its set up for a 10 year old lad.

And as its set up for a 10 year old the front and rear suspension were way to soft for me and the front brake was barely able to cope with my weight. The steering lock was restrictive and the foot pegs were too short. But it was so much fun. It runs a total loss ignition but is so easy to bump all you need to do is roll forward a couple of feet and dump the clutch.

But the good news is they do have some available modifications to allow adults, or big kids like me, to race. This is firmer suspension and uprated brakes with slightly more ergonomic bars for the fully grown rider. And as an adult you can compete in a race championship as well.

The adult championship includes 4 Stroke Pit Bikes and are raced on the same larger Go-Kart circuits that the kids race on, and the racing is tight. But everyone knows that the Metrakit bikes whip the more powerful pit bikes when ridden correctly.

From an adults perspective I think this is a great way to get racing and looks quite cheap. Race weekends cost about £65 in entry fees and a bike with a small spares package will be about £1000 - 1500 then anything else is mainly maintenance and repairs. I'm seriously looking at getting into this.

So if anyone would like to know more then the manufacturer can be found here and FAB-Racing run the British Championship. And if anyone has any advice for young Sam or can suggest ways of helping him out then please let me know and I'll be more than happy to pass them on.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 10:52 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Today I Rode A Real Race Bike

i'm having trouble getting a perspective of the size of this bike mate. Is it Sv sized or mini moto sized...or somewhere in between???

Looks cool anyway and like you say a proper cheap and relatively softer way to throw yourself at the scenery than minitwins is.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 10:58 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
i'm having trouble getting a perspective of the size of this bike mate. Is it Sv sized or mini moto sized...or somewhere in between???
Dude, seriously...

Less of the
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:04 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Don't have a pic to show the size of it unfortunately.

But I can say its bigger than a mini moto, probably about twice the size and it is at least half the size of a SV. Slightly on the small side but no where near as uncomfortable as a mini moto.

The bike is light enough to lift on your own, but two people make it easy. And it fits in the back of a Land Rover Discovery quite nicely so you'll not need the race trailer home from the start.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:11 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Dude, seriously...

Less of the
i'm tryin.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:22 PM   #6
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
i'm tryin.

Very..
Old 09-09-09, 03:58 PM   #7
carty

Twice the size of a mini moto is still pretty tiny- it's got to be bigger than that!

Looks awesome- can you blag me a go?!