SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-09, 02:24 PM   #1
Bris-Rob

Default Another battery issue

Hi Orgers,

Have been reading the various threads on starting issues etc after the welsh tt when i had some troubles. I have now tested the battery with a multimeter and the results i have got have confused me a little

After a hours ride to work i tested the battery and the reading i got was 12v (bike off) Later on i tested it agian still 12v on the battery when stood still. When i turn the bike on with the lights and rev to 5k the voltage on the bike drops between 11-12v.

But when the bike is on tick over the voltage goes up to 13v but it is droping when the bike is reved.

Any ideas?

edit- Problem rasied its head after a long run with lights on. Commuting to work etc im having little issues.......Yet

Last edited by Bris-Rob; 24-04-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 24-04-09, 02:28 PM   #2
TEL

Default Re: Another battery issue

Could be a duff regulator ??

Last edited by TEL; 25-04-09 at 07:47 AM. Reason: cant spell
TEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-09, 08:05 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Regulator.

But to check further as the regulator steps the current down to get it into the battery we can check the alternators output from the engine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Assuming you are confident of the battery, it sounds most likely that the regulator rectifier is isn't doing so well, but first a check of the alternator output will determine this, do this: disconnect the reg/rec unit connectors and identify the three yellow wires, these are the alternator connections, and they can be considered to be three pairs, that is if you were to name them A, B and C, you could have a pair A and B, a pair B and C, and a pair A and C. using a voltmeter with an AC setting of about 100V check the output between each of the three pairs, at about 5000 rpm there should be about 70V AC, the most important thing is to satisfy yourself that all three pairs are about the same output, any one markedly different reading will stand out.

If the alternator passes this test, (there are other tests too, but I doubt you'll find anything amiss with it anyway), then you may be confident that the trouble lies in the reg/rec unit, remember, this includes it's connections, so check that all is well fitted, clean and not suffering from corrosion.

If you find you need to replace the reg/rec unit - I suspect you will - consider a better one from a Kawasaki or a H***a, these will require a small change to the wiring, if you want to do that ask me for details.
Sid Squid is the dude when it comes to this.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-09, 08:42 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Regulator.
Old 25-04-09, 07:59 AM   #5
Bris-Rob

Right o, will test that today or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Rob