SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-04-12, 12:49 PM   #1
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Bullying nowadays

This morning I took action where I saw a friends daughter was being bullied by other youngsters. I put a quick stop to it and informed the family so that they could deal with it.

I believe that it is our responsibility as adults to stop this kind of thing when we see it. Not by being the bullies ourselves in the process, but by putting a stop to it and letting the childs parents know.

In my day, you got picked on at school and sometimes out playing afterwards if you bumped into those people, but generally speaking, at home in the evenings you could just be a happy kids.

I think it is right that as children get older, they get to be allowed facebook/twitter etc as it is part of growing up that you get to have these new freedoms, so...is it just down to the parents or should we all be keeping an eye out for the children we know?

I know I would rather tell a parent of something I see than just waive the responsibility and leave it up to someone else.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-04-12, 01:00 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bullying nowadays

You smell.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 01:05 PM   #3
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
You smell.
Remember I know where your parents live and I will tell them
Old 05-04-12, 01:18 PM   #4
Terah

I agree you should but I wonder how many parents a) Will accept what you say and do something about it, b) won't believe their little angel would do such a thing, c) don't care.
Old 05-04-12, 01:26 PM   #5
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terah View Post
I agree you should but I wonder how many parents a) Will accept what you say and do something about it, b) won't believe their little angel would do such a thing, c) don't care.
I was thinking more about telling parents when you see that their children are being bullied.
Old 05-04-12, 01:35 PM   #6
BBadger

I dont know, from what i went through at school people knowing made little to no difference and it is true that actions speak louder than words as after i acted i was left well alone.
Old 05-04-12, 02:01 PM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
I was thinking more about telling parents when you see that their children are being bullied.
I think parents of children being bullied have less influence than the parents of the bully. It's better (if you are going to do it) to tell the bully's parent as well so they can tackle the issue. I think many decent people don't want their child to be a victim or a bully.

Personally I think if you absolutely terrify a bully they might stop. No softy liberalism sticks with these kids regardless of why they do it.

Last edited by Balky001; 05-04-12 at 02:03 PM.
Balky001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 02:10 PM   #8
slark01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
I dont know, from what i went through at school people knowing made little to no difference and it is true that actions speak louder than words as after i acted i was left well alone.
Same thing here.

Ste.
Old 05-04-12, 02:20 PM   #9
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
I agree, but I would still want to know about it. If you don't know your kid is being bullied, you can unwittingly get after them for being moody/skipping school etc. At least if you know, you have a chance of giving them some support, even you can't actually stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
I think parents of children being bullied have less influence than the parents of the bully. It's better (if you are going to do it) to tell the bully's parent as well so they can tackle the issue. I think many decent people don't want their child to be a victim or a bully.

Personally I think if you absolutely terrify a bully they might stop. No softy liberalism sticks with these kids regardless of why they do it.

Well, yes, ideally, I would let the parents of the bully know. Two issues with this though. One is that, for instance this morning, I have no idea who the bully was or who his parents were and it would be wrong IMO of me to go and search out that information. I tell the parents, they then have the job of telling the parents of the bully.

Two is that often, bullies learn their behaviour at home because the get it at the hands of their parents/siblings. Not all the time, but it is often the case and telling those kind of families will get you nothing but stick and the kid a good whack for bringing them into it.

I am in the camp that believes that the only way to deal with a bully is to call their bluff an give them a dose of their own medicine, but that does not and should not absolve us adults of the responsibility of making sure we keep an eye on it and stop it when we see it happening.
Old 05-04-12, 02:52 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Being small I got bullied at junior school by a lad who regularly bullied other kids, he and his brothers were from a family who were ignorant yobs. The school did nothing.

I've got a very long fuse but a rather large temper like an ACME bomb at the end of it, so one day after he broke my necklace grabbing me round the throat I punched him so hard I knocked one of his front teeth out. Straight away my parents were hauled in front of the headmaster about MY behaviour.

But the outcome was that the lad never so much as called me a name again. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself.