SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-07, 09:21 PM   #1
TC3

Default Good riding roads in Wales

Can anyone suggest a route or 2 please? Looking at doing a long weekend in Wales and need some ideas on good riding roads. Have been looking on google but would prefer routes tried and tested by some of you on here
Cheers
Old 22-03-07, 10:19 PM   #2
K

Default Re: Good riding roads in Wales

Head on the A5 from Oswestry until you see the sea... then go round and round in circles from Fflint to Harlech and everything inbetween.

Can't go wrong really...

... just don't fall foul of the locals (or their coppers)!

Last edited by K; 22-03-07 at 10:20 PM. Reason: My spelling was crapulent.
Old 22-03-07, 10:38 PM   #3
PointyPete

Planning on doing the same over May bank holiday weekend. My Dad's from Swansea and knows some good roads in the Brecon Beacons, my bro's been out for rides with him before and raves about the road over Black Mountain. I've seen it by car and it's stunning (watch for sheep though!). I'll have to have a word and get some more ideas. I would've thought as long as you stick to the mountainous areas you'll have a great time (provided the weather holds).
Old 22-03-07, 10:39 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

There are some cracking roads down in South Wales, round Abbergaveny, Usk, 1000 Sheep etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the road numbers are, I only know how to get there on the bike. I'm sure one of the others from the MoFo's or the Taffia would be able to help. And if your down our way do let us know as we could be persuaded to venture over for a little bimble...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-07, 10:44 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Head on the A5 from Oswestry until you see the sea... then go round and round in circles from Fflint to Harlech and everything inbetween.

Can't go wrong really...

... just don't fall foul of the locals (or their coppers)!
Hey now! We're not that bad!!

I'm actually in the middle of putting together some maps of circuits in N. Wales (for my own reasons & to share with mates etc etc), but they're on the office computer. I'll link to them when I get chance

South Wales I have no idea about, barely been there

One word of warning RE: North Wales police. Keep your eye's open & look all around you. During warmer months they like to earn money by sending the helicopter out to look for speeding bikers on known bike routes. You'd normally never know the helicopter was following you until it was far too late
Old 22-03-07, 11:00 PM   #6
kwak zzr

try and add tanant valley, betsy, bala, corris and down to tregaron, brilliant roads.
Old 22-03-07, 11:02 PM   #7
hovis

some great rides around breacon,monmouth,usk etc, but i normally just follow the leader so not to sure on the routes yet

1000 sheep road is good............but now theres horses too

post a bit in the south west surfers
Old 23-03-07, 08:46 AM   #8
Mogs

If it S. Wales you want then stay in the rural areas usually north of the A465 (heads of the valleys) there are many great roads to the south, but more congested or neutered with 40 mph limits.

Here’s a list of the most popular ones.

A466 Chepstow to Monmouth

A40 Monmouth to Llandovery (via Abergavenny and Brecon) it's worth following the B roads parallel to the A40 from Monmouth to Aber as it's mostly dualled on this section. You’ll get the idea when you look at the map.

A470 south from Brecon over the Beacons, to pick up
the A4059 (1000 Sheep Rd) to Hirwaun.

A4067 Sennybridge via Cray to Ystradgynlais

and finally my favourite the A4061 Hirwaun to Bridgend.
Old 23-03-07, 08:50 AM   #9
TC3

Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I will look every road up and then decide what part to visit. Last year in France we did a lot of fast roads but look like my first wekend away in UK with bike is gonna be different what with all the fuzz ready and waiting!
Old 23-03-07, 09:02 AM   #10
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I will look every road up and then decide what part to visit. Last year in France we did a lot of fast roads but look like my first wekend away in UK with bike is gonna be different what with all the fuzz ready and waiting!
To be honest though, depending on the time of year it can be wisest to ride well within the posted limits... (legal reasoning aside ) but with pony trekkers, hill walkers, caravans, farm vehicles and of course, sheep, round every other corner it can really put your forward observation skills through the wringer.

I sometimes think that all IAM groups should do a tour of either North Wales or Cornwall in tourist season - no better advanced training.