SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-16, 06:20 PM   #21
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: building from scratch

No.

If you don't like the gold get them anodised a different colour or chose a different fork. I think there were some GSXR's with black forks but can't remember the exact model or year. Failing that there are some other bikes with forks of different colours...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-16, 06:29 PM   #22
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
No.

If you don't like the gold get them anodised a different colour or chose a different fork. I think there were some GSXR's with black forks but can't remember the exact model or year. Failing that there are some other bikes with forks of different colours...
I'd have prob got them done a different colour IF they were unmarked, unfortunately, finding a pair of 10+ year old forks without any marks is pretty much impossible. even though these were nice and straight, they have some chipping to the alloy and marks from removal/fitting ect.

I'm a fussy bugger
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-16, 07:54 PM   #23
Blapper

[QUOTE=SheepShagger;3054249]Ok so just to update, a few more bits have turned up, Both wheels, rear brake system forks and triples.

I mentioned that i hate the tacky gold on the GSXR USD's, so what I've done is order some very sexy, course, cross weaved carbon tubing (55mm ID 60mm OD). I've chamfered the inner edge down (roughly ATM) so it sitl nicely over the taper at the bottom of the forks, as per the image. This is rough at the moment and will require some light handed finishing. The gold bit you can see is going to be coated in the same fine metallic blue as the frame and the upper sections of the forks (between the yokes) will be a metallic black.

Here's a pic of of the early test fit, but you get the idea, Yay or nay?

Doesn't really matter what we think, it's your bike mate. I actually like red and gold so I'd leave them. Also, what nathcarr said? Ive been riding for 46 years and right now, the SV650 is all the bike I want.

I think your challenge will be getting a nice transition between the carbon and the ali and also a good seal too.

Last edited by Blapper; 15-09-16 at 07:55 PM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 10:32 AM   #24
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathcarr View Post
I work in a VAG approved body shop myself as a painter...
We prefer the term ladies!

Sorry, I am a bad person!

Quote:
Failing that there are some other bikes with forks of different colours...
Like the R1 for example!

This project sounds great, can't wait to see photos of it coming together. Good luck and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 02:22 PM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
No.

My K7 GSXR 750 forks are black. Think K7 and some K8's are the only years for black forks.
Old 18-09-16, 07:24 PM   #26
SheepShagger

Popped to the Bodyshop, Parts weren't finished (annoyingly).

Hopefully get them this week but have been researching other bits and bobs for the bike. Found a headlight unit I liked from a KTM on ebay, so bid and won that: Here

Looking to go with a Duke 848 tail, really like the look of those and subframes are freely available, just have to fab something up for the battery, as I'll be looking to put a belly pan on her, was wondering if that would be a good place to hide a battery, and lower the COG at the same time, any thoughts on this anyone?

Cheers.
Old 18-09-16, 09:20 PM   #27
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I think you'll struggle to fit a battery into a belly pan. Not sure how much room you'll have with the 848 seat unit, what are you doing for the subframe? As for battery relocation the Mini Twiners usually move it to the right hand side of the engine mounting off of the front cylinder. Not done this myself but there should be some information around here and some photos.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-16, 06:46 AM   #28
SheepShagger

Quote:
I think you'll struggle to fit a battery into a belly pan. Not sure how much room you'll have with the 848 seat unit, what are you doing for the subframe? As for battery relocation the Mini Twiners usually move it to the right hand side of the engine mounting off of the front cylinder. Not done this myself but there should be some information around here and some photos.
Thanks for that info on the battery, I'll take a look, as for the subframe, SV units are available for for peanuts and the 848's a little more, will prob get 1 of each and create some kind of hybrid, as I'll only need the very front of the SV unit (for the frame mounting points and tank bracket) I should have plenty of material left over for any extra strengthening that might be needed. I've seen someone else use this tail and fab a battery box underneath, could also be an option I guess.
Old 19-09-16, 12:09 PM   #29
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Low COG is not necessarily a good thing in motorbikes, cars yes, bikes no... Mass centralisation would be what you are after.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-16, 07:19 PM   #30
SheepShagger

Got sent a pic of the frame from the bodyshop today, I'ts only a low res mobile images but gives you an idea of the colour.