SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: When you leave your bike anywhere what security do you use?
Disc Lock Only 4 13.33%
Lock and Chain Only 3 10.00%
Steering Lock Only 8 26.67%
Combination of Above 14 46.67%
Keith_D 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-12, 01:09 PM   #1
Brettus

Default Security, what's most popular?

After reading about the disc lock being left on when setting off (incidentally read the same story a lot, its like the sidestand not being down when you thought it was etc. happens to us all.
But anyway, I wondered what amount of security people generally use. I realise most might not want to own up in a thread (and I advise not to) so I'm putting up an anonymous poll.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 01:28 PM   #2
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Security, whats most popular

When I go on a ride out I use the disc lock and ignition lock if I am going for a drink or a ****, but, when the bike is as home or at my over-night stop over it is disc lock, ignition lock and chain
Old 02-10-12, 05:52 PM   #3
dkid

Alarmed disc lock (xena XX14)

If you forget it's on, the second you stand the bike upright (or even just unlock the steering lock and move the handle bars) it goes off. Few chirps of warming followed by over 100db of noise. Once you've done this in a public place a couple of times the embarassment ensures you don't forget again

They're small & light and fit easily under the pillion seat too.

Oh, And it's chain and ground anchor in the garage at home...

Last edited by dkid; 02-10-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 06:12 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

TBH i rarely lock mine up unless it's abroad or being left alone for a while outside. When it's locked up i use my big heavy duty chain lock and disc lock.
When i'm out on the bike it's not left any where dodgy or alone for a long time. Steering lock is used and that's it.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 06:19 PM   #5
SIII
Mega Poster

Steering lock only at home (Live somewhere very safe), if out and not sure of area - Xena xx14, cable adapter and cable - either to another bike or helmet.
Xena alarm locks are great, always reminds you to take it off before you ride away! Glad of it a couple of times.
Old 02-10-12, 06:23 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

My original SV (SH1) was so battered it was its own anti theft device, no one in their right mind would want to steal a bike that looked like that. I even managed to leave the keys in the ignition on a busy main road for a couple of hours and still no one took it. So my recommendation, scratch or smash every panel, dent the tank, and under no circumstances wash any dirt, muck, or grime off of it.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 10:37 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
So my recommendation, scratch or smash every panel, dent the tank, and under no circumstances wash any dirt, muck, or grime off of it.

I do like having this conversation at renewal time "Any extra security features, sir?" "Its appearance"

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 04-10-12 at 10:38 AM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 10:49 AM   #8
missyburd

Default Re: Security, what's most popular?

Disc lock on when bike left for any length of time, if left overnight outside anywhere then the hefty chain comes out to play. And as my bike spends a lot of time parked up outside work and visible to many passersby I don't keep it looking pristine, no point drawing attention to it (although it being bright yellow doesn't contribute well to this). I've seen people comment on it's appearance but if it means they wouldn't be seen dead riding it then chances are they won't much want to nick it either
Old 04-10-12, 10:50 AM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Alarm, immobiliser and good insurance-------------but always park next to a better looking more expensive bike[YC excused]
Old 04-10-12, 10:50 AM   #10
missyburd

Also...why would anyone just put a disc lock on without having already put steering lock on?