SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-07, 11:31 AM   #1
tapemonkey

Default Velocity stacks

Hi all, has anybody out there fitted velocity stacks to a pointy sv650.

My old CBR had a lovely looking bank of stacks but the SV basically has none. Now is that because it doesn't need them or because it's a more budget machine and Suzuki couldn't be bothered?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tapemonkey
Old 16-02-07, 11:37 AM   #2
Marshall

I think renegade do a set with a modified airbox and filters for the curvey. From what ive read there pretty good
Old 16-02-07, 05:15 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

All they are for is to get the length of the induction tract appropriate for the speed at which you want it to be resonant and therefore get extra cylinder filling.

It all depends what the length of the system is as determined by the designers and/or installation. It could be that the length as arrived at in order to fit in the "V" ends where it is now, so doesn't need any extra length.

Adding length makes the system resonant at lower frequency i.e. lower engine speed. It's usually a compromise between max torque and max power.

It does need to be developed in conjunction with the valve timing too.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-07, 10:34 PM   #4
svrash

I sent renegade UK an email asking how much they were, 3 weeks later tehy sent me the reply asking which model I wanted them for (which i already statied on the enquirey form), i replied, and i'm still waiting.....3 months later
Old 16-02-07, 10:57 PM   #5
Demonz

I thought the Renegade products just use Pipercross filters? Check with them they may have a direct replacement???
Old 16-02-07, 11:23 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

They cost £90 new from what I remember, thats the stacks, main jets and a filter.

I've only seen pics of the Pipercross filters and they look the same as K&N etc, the renegade filter is simply put a bit of lumpy foam with some mesh for regidity.

I have the kit but have not tried them on the bike yet (and it might be some time before I do; project CBR and all that...) but Viney is the man to talk to.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-07, 12:00 AM   #7
Dysparunia

Forgive my ignorance, what's a velocity stack??
Old 17-02-07, 08:52 AM   #8
tapemonkey

See link below for a great picture.

The blue 'trumpet' like thing bolted to the carb is a velocity stack, sometimes known as a rampipe. It's said they improve airflow into the engine. The radius on the end smooths air into the carb/throttle body as the right angle on a bare faced carb can actually cause turbulence and make the entry effectively smaller. As far as my limited knowledge on the subject goes, shorter ones promote top end power, longer ones promote torque. Most sport bikes have them, my old CBR had a nice bank of four just under the airbox.

Yamaha have a system on the new R1 that looks very funky

http://www.meccanicacorse.net/galler...03/Picture_496
Old 17-02-07, 03:59 PM   #9
chazzyb

I think the new R1 has ECU-controlled variable length inlet tracts - ie, velocity stacks.
Old 17-02-07, 05:27 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Renegade are no longer in the UK, they have moved, and to be honest, i havent a clue whats happeing. As for thier kit. The filter was made especailly for renegade. It does not enter the airbox like all otehr filters, and is basicaly a pancake filter that sits across the hole. The 'stacks' where also made in house. I remember watching Jorge at the time trialing different lengths, and then seeing what they done to the power curve. I dont think that they would be available seperatly, and iirc, they are not for the FI bikes, onl the older carbed models.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote