SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-12, 12:00 PM   #1
JonGeorge

Default Bandit 1200?

Thinking of getting a bandit 1200, I currently have a sv650 naked 99 curvy, I'm after the pro's and con's of both

cheers
Old 21-09-12, 01:10 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bandit 1200

Which year Bandit?

I've only ridden one about the same age as your SV. I always thought that they were a bit rubbish, however I was pleasantly surprised. Very comfortable, good performance, handling and braking were adequate. Very usable bike, I can now understand why they are so popular.

As for the pros and cons against the SV, all I can really say is the Bandit has more power, but it isn't a VTwin...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-12, 01:49 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Roberrrt bought one after SV crash and hated it...
Old 21-09-12, 02:06 PM   #4
JonGeorge

Same squireel hunter, I've ridden a 99 bandit 1200, now this was before I passed my full bike test and until up to then a GS500 was the most 'Powerful' bike I had ridden, and when I jumped on the bandit it felt quick! I want best of both worlds, I love my sv only had it barely a month but it lacks something power , but as for looks its everything wanted in a streetfighter. See what my review brings (Fingers crossed I can buy a bandit aswell) haha

Old 21-09-12, 02:06 PM   #5
JonGeorge

oh and roughly the same year as there easier to mod (Engine)
Old 22-09-12, 06:11 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Early Bandit's are pretty good bikes. The later one's were a little too bland.
Besides the usual signs of abuse, & general bodging, watch out for; Rotting fuel tanks, & crappy wiring.

Finding a good early 1200 may be a bit of a challenge. They're going up in price too. I have a customer with a 1999 1200. It's in excellent bog standard condition. Every time it's in for work. I get plenty of people asking if it's for sale. Despite it's 50k mileage.

Cheers.
Old 22-09-12, 10:37 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Be warned that almost every single bandit, except spanner mans mate's one (yes just that one...)... has been bought by a kn*b with no mechanical sympathy who bought it to do wheelies on, and the mixture of bolting on stupid anodised chink sh*te from demon tweeks et al, half *rsed engine "tuning" and next to no servicing will have turned a half decent bike into a complete pig of a thing...
Old 22-09-12, 11:38 AM   #8
wyrdness

I've ridden the 1250 bandit, and the engine is absolutely awesome. It might look underpowered on paper, but it feels amazing, with an incredible amount of torque available. However, I didn't like the rest of the bike so much. It felt cheaply built and wasn't particularly comfortable to ride.
Old 22-09-12, 12:19 PM   #9
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Be warned that almost every single bandit, except spanner mans mate's one (yes just that one...)... has been bought by a kn*b with no mechanical sympathy who bought it to do wheelies on, and the mixture of bolting on stupid anodised chink sh*te from demon tweeks et al, half *rsed engine "tuning" and next to no servicing will have turned a half decent bike into a complete pig of a thing...
I know of at least one more that was very well cared for so that is quite a sweeping statement. However if buying second hand if there is any anodised tat on it then chances are the above is true. However I have found that the rule of anodisation is true for most machines...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote