SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-07-14, 09:28 AM   #21
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: road closures. How do they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
try molesey....it goes past one end of the road....back around to the other! im trapped!!!!

Stupid surrey cycle race.

Having seen all the "road closed here next week" signs when passing through your area a couple of years ago and reading about the multiple times a year it happens, I decided to avoid the place entirely from now on. Just in case. It was also the reason for my post on page 1 so it's good (not the right phrase, sorry) to know the locals feel the same.
Old 16-07-14, 09:53 PM   #22
fenjer

They're still supposed to allow access for residents and emergency services.
It's a complete pain though, at the moment I'm facing a 4-5mile detour for the next 5 or so weeks because they've shut 400yards of road outside my accommodation in Lancaster. It's bloody marvellous.
Old 17-07-14, 11:07 AM   #23
timwilky
Mega Poster

Perhaps my question as to how they work. Is that there is a yellow notice on a couple of lamp posts saying the road is closed. (Actually I walked down some of the lanes after dropping my bike off for an mot a few miles away and they too have the closed signs) But these temporary plastic information signs do not comply with any legal requirement for a road closed sign.

When I leave the cul-de-sac were I live and turn right. It is 400 yards before I see a sign. Is a copper going to stand on every adjoining road/driveway saving sorry mate your staying put for the next 8 hours?
Old 17-07-14, 11:09 AM   #24
timwilky
Mega Poster

Doing the walk down single track country lanes, with steep hills and tight turns, tree lined, covered in moss and soaking wet on this the hottest day of the year, I at least now know where to go to see some spectacular crashing.....

and a nice real ale pub by the canal at the top of hill.

Last edited by timwilky; 17-07-14 at 11:11 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-14, 11:41 AM   #25
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Perhaps my question as to how they work. Is that there is a yellow notice on a couple of lamp posts saying the road is closed. (Actually I walked down some of the lanes after dropping my bike off for an mot a few miles away and they too have the closed signs) But these temporary plastic information signs do not comply with any legal requirement for a road closed sign.

When I leave the cul-de-sac were I live and turn right. It is 400 yards before I see a sign. Is a copper going to stand on every adjoining road/driveway saving sorry mate your staying put for the next 8 hours?
when they run Eastleigh 10k they just have marshals at the roads preventing traffic from pulling out, and yes they stop everyone for about half an hour or so.
Old 17-07-14, 11:46 AM   #26
a_monkey_hint

I'm a bit lucky, iron man closures misses me by a couple hundred metres.

Traffic is going to be a nightmare though!
Old 17-07-14, 12:08 PM   #27
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
when they run Eastleigh 10k they just have marshals at the roads preventing traffic from pulling out, and yes they stop everyone for about half an hour or so.

fine if you have to wait 1/2 an hour on a Sunday. But these signs are saying 7am to 3pm. An 8 hour shut.
Old 17-07-14, 12:43 PM   #28
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The road is offically shut, but there is usually restricted access for locals when there is a sutible and safe gap. I'm surprised that as an effected resident they havent sent you some information. May I suggest contacting your local council?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-14, 01:16 PM   #29
Bibio
Mega Poster

Tim your not seeing the positive side of this, get a stall set up and sell filled rolls and beverages.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-14, 03:36 PM   #30
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
fine if you have to wait 1/2 an hour on a Sunday. But these signs are saying 7am to 3pm. An 8 hour shut.
I always run it so It's never bothered me.

Perhaps as it's closed for longer they will be letting people out but I wouldn't bank on it. Personally I'd suggest planning something that either keeps you in or out all day and not running the risk.