SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 11-07-14, 08:15 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Carter Bikes

It is with great sadness that I report the demise of Speedwell Motorcycles.

I was down Bristol way the other week and decided to stop by to say hello to my old mechanics only to find the shutters down. It would appear that they couldn't make the business work anymore.

Back in 1999 Bike Mart of Bristol sold a Peugeot Speedfight 50 to a young lad. Over the following years he kept going back for all his repair and servicing work until he bought his own spanners and moved away. But he never forgot all the help and advise he was given and he bought his 3rd bike, a CBR400 from them.

Bike Mart closed due to rent increases and the team dispersed. But after a year or so reformed as Speedwell Motorcycles working out of a industrial lockup. After some time spent there and selling the same chap a SV650 they took over Crosshands Motorcycles rebranding as Speedwell. They expanded and sold yet another SV650 which is still going strong today.

But it looks like the good times ended last year. Dave, Ziggy, and Dave couldn't keep going, I don't know why. Ziggy always joked that though I put his daughter through college there wasn't the money in the industry that there used to be.

However after a little searching it would appear that Little Dave has gone it alone as an independent mechanic. So if you are in Bristol and in need of a highly experienced and recommended mechanic Carter Bikes has my seal of approval.

Good luck Dave, Ziggy, and Dave.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 08:23 PM   #2
dkid

Default Carter Bikes

It's a shame that mate. I prefer smaller independent setups myself too. Will bear in mind the recommendation too, Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-07-14, 08:08 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carter Bikes

Well I found myself in Bristol on Saturday so searched out the Carter Bikes premises and Dave. Had a good chat and catch up as it really had been years. Dave is the only one left in the industry now and he's giving it a good go on his own.

So once again for those in Bristol who need a mechanic with the Squirrel Hunter seal of approval you know where to go.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 09:06 AM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carter Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Sold yet another SV650 which is still going strong today.
Ha haa haaaaaa, should be in the joke thread

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote