SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-11, 09:41 PM   #151
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: SH2: The Rebuild (Image Heavy)

Lockwire is statistically the most useful component for stabbing yourself with.
Old 08-05-11, 09:56 PM   #152
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

looking good (again)

Be interested to see the damage to the old motor

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-11, 07:35 PM   #153
nikon70

any news on the engine? i let my trx850 go low on oil... was so ****ed to get rid... i feel your pain
Old 29-10-11, 10:24 PM   #154
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon70 View Post
any news on the engine?
Well oddly enough I have been thinking about this recently. I could go into detail about the house move and the other project I'm gearing up for, but in all honesty I've been lazy. The engine is sat in the corner on my workbench waiting, where it has been for the past 4 months.

But while the engine hasn't moved I have sourced a replacement crank, oil pump, and a gasket kit. All I need to do is strip it down clean up the mess, get the crank and bearings checked out and then stick it all back together. Sounds so simple?

However SH2 is off the road at the moment, needs a battery and a reg/ rec. And as I have another working bike doing that isn't on my list of priorities. But it really should be.

Further to that is the little matter of the oil. I forgot to drop the oil out the engine before I swapped. So there is 3.5l of oil in the engine on the workbench and I need to devise a way off gracefully removing it without recreating the Exxon Valdez disaster in my garage...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 08:22 AM   #155
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Further to that is the little matter of the oil. I forgot to drop the oil out the engine before I swapped. So there is 3.5l of oil in the engine on the workbench and I need to devise a way off gracefully removing it without recreating the Exxon Valdez disaster in my garage...
Vacum pump from a boat chandler, many other uses once you've bought one too. Pela are the best ones apparently

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/tools...p1004535.bhtml

Last edited by maviczap; 30-10-11 at 08:27 AM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 05:06 PM   #156
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Part 17; That familiar sinking feeling:

Well I got the urge to do something with it. First off to drain the oil. All different ideas were going round my head involving ratchet straps, axle stands bolts and wood. In the end the solution was simple, engine raised off of the bench on a couple of blocks of wood with a funnel positioned under the drain aimed into a container precariously balanced on top of a tool box, two axle stands and a plank of wood on the floor.

Didn't spill a drop.

The oil did appear to have some metal similar to the crank from last time. So with that I thought I'd make a little start on the strip down. However I noticed a slightly odd thing when I removed the timing cap, metal on it. It looked the same as the crank metal but I didn't find any there last time.

Little did I know the horror that lurked within. Took the cams out, pleased to find that my timing marks were still there from the cam swap. And then decided to take the cam chains out, so off came the alternator cover and this is what I found:

As I understand it that is fubar. The rotor looks as if its disintegrated, but the magnets at first glance look good. So my first question is why, and is this the cause or just a symptom? Surprisingly I didn't have any electrical or charging issues from the bike with this engine in...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 06:12 PM   #157
husky03
Mega Poster

i have a sv engine sitting on the bench in the garage with the same issues mate, and another one to come out and see if its the same also-on a good note i'm picking up a replacement lump from manchester this week-be interesting to hear what the cause to this damage is.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 07:39 PM   #158
muzikill
Mega Poster

Watching with great interest..... was that a meltdown of the generator magnets? doesnt look like the starvation would have got there plus the generator parts cannot misalign and hit each other. It looks like meltdown.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 30-10-11 at 07:45 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 09:44 PM   #159
suzukigt380paul

only just read this thread,and the only two comments i can make are, ive never none so many engines of
one make go pop,and as to getting the crank reground i allways thought this was a no no because unless you are taking less than 10.000 of the crank which may mean the crank is still in tolerance and then replacing the shells with the corersponding tolerance ones from suzuki then i think you will find in most cases you will have ground through the case hardening,and although i would not recomend it i thought the only way to reclaim a wore crank was to have it metal sprayed and then reground back to original size
Old 30-10-11, 09:46 PM   #160
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'd suspect something loose flying about has mullered those, or you damaged it removing the flywheel? How any debris would get there is anyones guess.