SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-15, 09:11 PM   #11
figaro

Default Re: Honda Blackbird

Seriously; I spent ages trying to get panniers for my ST2 Ducati, and as they were designed for the bike they looked great, but they dropped the top speed to 110mph! The Sprint would indicate 165 with just a tailpack and tankbag, but with the panniers that dropped to 150 max.

But that's not what puts me off them, it's the price. You can easily spend £500 just for a topbox and a rack AND extra for the brackets! Oh, and when you get to your hotel/campsite, they're just as awkward to carry as soft luggage, and they weigh a hell of a lot more.

No contest, stick to the Kriega.
Old 22-01-15, 10:08 PM   #12
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
I'm tall
No you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
It's a heavy old beast (and Squirrell couldn't get it on / off the centre stand with those matchsticks he has dangling down from his waist )
Admittedly at first I wasn't good with the centre stand until I got a technique sorted. You on the other hand could use your ample downforce to counterbalance the bike...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 10:19 PM   #13
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

On the subject of hard luggage, the top box was fantastic. So useful to have it there locked onto the bike so I could leave kit with the bike without worrying. I didn't use the side panniers though. As a downside remember to consider the scaffolding arrangement of the rack. The type on my Blackbird took so much effort to dismantle and reassemble which was required for some maintenance activities that needed the rear plastics off I would just leave it to Stretchie to do.

As for stability at high speed the top box never gave me any issues loaded or empty. The only stability issue I had was a front wheel wobble due to uneven wear and or the tyre type. And then there was the time I found the front wheel going very light above about 130mph with a particular forum member on the back the day after AR10. I kept it below 120mph with her on after that as I didn't like the feeling after the second time it went up.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-15, 09:15 AM   #14
Skip
Mega Poster

I was seduced by the power when I bought mine but it just did not suit the type of riding I like to do (twisty b-roads) - a very capable bike overall and an amazing long distance mile muncher but it just wasn't for me... Also its so blooming fast you need a lot of self control! lol
Old 23-01-15, 08:52 PM   #15
figaro

I got hooked on V-twins; that glut of torque as you twist the throttle is so much better than searching for revs...Except...the Blackbird has all that torque, but it wears a suit rather than a G-Star Raw t-shirt...and it'll rev too.

Top gear's good from sub-20mph to post-170. That's good enough for now, but think how long ago it was introduced. Then try the same on a 1098...
Old 25-01-15, 06:56 PM   #16
ChrisCurvyS

Fantastic bikes and I nearly got one of these - only thing I'd say is at that price (presuming the market is similar in Eire) Blackbirds tend to be very tatty. You can get similarly capable bikes in better condition.

Also look out for certain imports (French mainly) which are restricted, sort of defeats the object.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote